Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 4months old...and are new at parenting, I've been reading up on as much information as possible to raise 'em. One day I smelled their accident and went into the kitchen and there they were eating their poop...I was so discussed! Is this behavior normal? Like I said...I'm new at this, as kids my mom always thought of animals as dirty...so we weren't allowed pets. Visit a breeder and fell in love with Thunder and Rayne:).
We also have a floppy eared rabbit in the house...hehe. Don't worry..they stay seperate
Any info would help..thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same little nasty with Miss Daisy and what we did was first check with our vet to make sure she was getting all the nurtriton she was suppose to be getting from her food- and she was so that sent us packing to PETSMART. There we bought "DETER", It is safe and effective in stopping the nasty little habit and very easy to feed the puppy (little tablets) Hope this helps you as it helped us :)

A

·
0 Posts
It would appear that eating poopies is a bit of the basset hound trait. I eventually trained Francis to knock it off but it still requires vigilance. (Forget about deer poop...that must be a gourmet taste treat to all dogs. There's usally a mad dash for the pile and all the dogs eat and roll in it...pretty vile)
It took some intense training and all the diet changes in the world didn't help so much as a leash tug with the loud word, "NO!"
Good Luck!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just this morning as I was getting ready for work, I asked my son if Matilda was off the porch yet (the ground was wet, and my little princess prefers dry feet ;) .....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dixie does the same thing from time to time. I tried the DETER tablets but quite honestly I could not sit there and let her eat her poop while I was giving her the tablets. It's mighty gross. I just gave up on it and figure what I don't know won't hurt me. Every now and then though I'll watch her while she's outside and sometimes after she finishes her business she will turn around and to eat it and as soon as she does I'll knock on the window and she'll turn around real quick and start running to the back door like she just got busted. She knows not to do it. Every now and then though she'll come back inside and throw up what she ate and that my friends is the worst thing in the world to clean up!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The only cure I've ever found is cleaning up the yard as soon as possible, and hauling the offender in if I catch him/her. Of the six bassets we've had I think that at least two have indulged on a habitual basis.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Bassets do not do things that require easy fixing. :eek: And then go lick Mom and Dad's face.(Which is why I won't let my dogs do it.Plus there are certian worms that can be transfered this way.Roundworms are a danger to children and adults.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts