Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a disgusting topic. But I have to say that I am very disappointed and down at this point. Libby won't stop eating poop. Not just her own, but other dogs' and cats' as well, even chicken poop, you name it. The vet told me to give her some pills for that and wait at least two weeks, but it didn't work. In fact, I think it made her worse. At this point I have her on a tight leash, I go everywhere with her, and she's not liking it. She's about seven months now and she likes her freedom, the one my husband gave her. I told my husband that we had to put a lead on her from the beginning for training purposes. But he liked how she walked next to him all the time. And now the dog likes to do as she pleases (if I can only show you what she does). Right now it's almost like a habit. She'll eat her food, but prefers to eat poop. I don't know what to do at this point. I thought that she'd gotten over it before, but I was wrong. I don't want her to get sick. Does anyone have experience with this. Thanks.

·
Registered
939 Posts
what brand of food are you feeding now?and are you giving her enough?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have battled the poop eating with Spencer his whole life, & he is 10 years old. He goes through phases where he won't eat any & then all of a sudden, he starts eating it. He's been on different foods throughout his life - that has not affected the poop eating for him. I know he gets enough to eat. I have tried all the commercial remedies & even sprinkled poop with hot sauce & then let him eat it. Nothing worked. I have given up. When he is in one of his eating spells, I keep him on a tight lead when we walk & try to go out with him in the yard as much as possible so I can clean up after him immediately. He gets his teeth brushed daily which helps with the bad breath. The vet assured me that while disgusting, eating his own poop is not especially harmful, but eating others' poop can be, if they have parasites or some illness. It's a constant concern, but we live with it! Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't have any advice, but I am also interested in the answers. We have this problem with Maggie. It was never a problem until she started taking antibiotics and then she would try to eat her own poop. Now that she is off antibiotics she will sometimes try to eat her own and will often try to eat others. But sometimes she just sniffs it and keeps going.

Okay - gross question. Maggie has very soft feces, it tends to be hardest in the morning, i would guess because she hasn't gone all night, but then it tends to be soft or very soft throughout the day. She never trys to eat her poop in the morning -but other times she will. So one question is what to do about soft poo and another is whether she could be missing something in her diet that makes her want to eat it?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Maggie Mae did this at one point in her life. Gross! I would let her poop and immediately distract her with something. While she was distracted with a bone or treat I tossed in the opposite direction, I would spray her poop with tons of bitter apple. She HATED that stuff. I did this consistently and soon she stopped it. If she did even lick it, I would spray her mouth with bitter apple making sure to remove the water bowl. This worked like a charm. Then the rest of her life, she didn't do it. Worth a try.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
This is a frequent topic on many boards, including this one. At 7 months, your dog may or may not outgrow it. I'm not a vet, but I've never heard of it making a dog sick. I try to avoid it by picking up the yard and making sure they can't get near the cat's litter box. Its not just Bassets-- my tracking instructor, who trains dogs of all breeds, was overjoyed that my dogs didn't like goose poop, since our tracking area was full of it.

I didn't quite get what you were saying about the leash. At 7 months, she's old enough to go to puppy class, where you can learn how to walk with her on a leash. It doesn't have much effect on their doggie eating habits, but it is a good idea, anyway.

[/quote]

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have three poop eaters. In nice weather, I go out with them, scooper in hand. I literally have to catch it before it hits the ground, then toss it over the fence. This is a bad habit that doesn't make my dogs sick -- but it definitely makes me gag :blink: !!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what brand of food are you feeding now?and are you giving her enough?[/b]

She's on IAMs puppy food. I had her on the Science Diet before, but she constantly had the runs so I changed it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have battled the poop eating with Spencer his whole life, & he is 10 years old. He goes through phases where he won't eat any & then all of a sudden, he starts eating it. He's been on different foods throughout his life - that has not affected the poop eating for him. I know he gets enough to eat. I have tried all the commercial remedies & even sprinkled poop with hot sauce & then let him eat it. Nothing worked. I have given up. When he is in one of his eating spells, I keep him on a tight lead when we walk & try to go out with him in the yard as much as possible so I can clean up after him immediately. He gets his teeth brushed daily which helps with the bad breath. The vet assured me that while disgusting, eating his own poop is not especially harmful, but eating others' poop can be, if they have parasites or some illness. It's a constant concern, but we live with it! Good luck.[/b]
That's what worries me the most, when she eats other dog's poop. This happens when I take her to the park. But so far, keeping her on a lead has helped a little. She's with me most of the time now(she likes the company), and I can watch her more closely. In the beginning she wasn't too fond of the leash, but now it's ok. It helps me get her away from things she shouldn't be messing with. She's free inside the house, but not outside, at least for now.
I have been picking up her poop as soon as she's done, and I'm keeping treats in my pocket to get her attention away from the poop as soon as she's gone to the bathroom. I figured that she's still young, and I can help her stop eating it, especially other dog's poop. I found out that dogs are attracted to cat poop, so there's no hope there. I guess Bassets are the type that have this sort of habit. My Golden is just a couple of months older than her, extremely active and gets into a lot of trouble, but he's never given us a problem with eating other dog's poop or his own. His breath smells pretty good too ;) .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't quite get what you were saying about the leash. At 7 months, she's old enough to go to puppy class, where you can learn how to walk with her on a leash. It doesn't have much effect on their doggie eating habits, but it is a good idea, anyway.[/b]

I took her to puppy class in the beginning, but she didn't learn much, or maybe she did but didn't feel like being told what to do. The only commands she knows is 'sit' 'go to bed' 'eat' 'come' 'off' and 'out'. The 'lay-down' command is too hard for me to teach her because she just looks at me like I'm a fool :blink: . I'm trying to learn to trick her since she is sooo independent.
The whole thing about the leash is that my husband thought that she didn't need it because she never left us when we walked. But now he realized that she did need it for teaching purposes. I believe that the reason why my golden retriever didn't really get into things when he was her age is because we walked him on a leash and tugged at it if we noticed he was getting too close to something he shouldn't. Eventually, he learned to ignore those thing, one of them being other dog's poop, unlike Libby, who got used to going in the direction she wanted since we gave her too much freedom from the start.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maggie Mae did this at one point in her life. Gross! I would let her poop and immediately distract her with something. While she was distracted with a bone or treat I tossed in the opposite direction, I would spray her poop with tons of bitter apple. She HATED that stuff. I did this consistently and soon she stopped it. If she did even lick it, I would spray her mouth with bitter apple making sure to remove the water bowl. This worked like a charm. Then the rest of her life, she didn't do it. Worth a try.[/b]
Good idea. I'm going to try that!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi

Ive had Molly for nearly 2 years , she is a great dog but the one thing that lets her down is her poo eating.... :(

Its a real struggle as we are always watching her but she always manages to find a poo from somewhere. It can be any kind of animal poo she is not fussy.Its not hunger because she can eat her food then straight after have a poo and then turn around and eat That too...

I now feel that she knows its a problem because if she is not happy with us or is having a mood she tends to do it more..

I have tried every pill going and have also put chili oil and alsorts on her poo, but this has not changed anything.

I worry that this cant be good for her health , Plus i worry about the children letting her lick them as i am concerned about there health.

Any more ideas will be helpful.

I have got to the stage were i have decided that Molly will always eat poo now.

Is this just a Basset thing because they are from the Hound family, so they are just covering there tracks?

Its great to be back
Carol & Iain (Mollys Mum & Dad ) :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts