Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning~
This past weekend we adopted a 2.5 year old female. She is taking to her new surroundings very well, and is really getting along with our other dog.

The only concern we have is her not eating. When we put food down, she takes pieces of it and places it in different places in the house. She has only eaten a small portion since Sunday afternoon.

I asked the previous owner about this, and they have no knowledge of the behavior, in fact they said she always had a hearty appetitie.

She is not showing signs of being confused or sad. She is playing with the kids and other pet, and at night she is cuddling up to either me or my wife and going to sleep.

I am wondering if she is getting used to her new place still, and will come around? She is drinking water normally.

A

·
0 Posts
When Wilson moved from his old home to mine, it took him three weeks before he would eat much of anything. His old owners told me he ate six cups of food per day and I could barely get him to eat one, however he would steal the children's ham sandwiches, any bread products he could steal and also drank water normally.

The important thing to remember is that DOGS DO NOT STARVE THEMSELVES. When they get hungry enough they will eat. Wilson seemed happy when he first came to live with us also, but now that he is in a forever home and knows it, he is quite a lot different and actually "happy". Dogs being pack animals, try not to show signs of weakness like sadness.

Lots of love and belly rubs and an occasional treat will make her feel at home. It has only been a couple of days, be patient with her. She will probably be fine soon and eating you out of house and home. I have cut Wilson down to three cups of good vet food per day (1.5 morning & 1.5 at night) and he is thriving really well on that. He doesn't eat any more than that now. I had changed his food from what the previous owners gave him (because it contained lamb and gave Wilson the itchies) and he loves it.

Good luck to you and try not to worry just yet. Give her time.

Susan

A

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the board and thank you for taking in one of our hounds. Good luck! yvonne

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wilson's Mom - I wish you would tell my two that Dogs being pack animals, try not to show signs of weakness like sadness, because they let me know all the time how I disappoint them.

Grommett - give it time. I had the same type of problems with Abby and Hannah when I adopted them.

A

·
0 Posts
Too bad you aren't another pack animal Keith and maybe they wouldn't show you how disappointing you are.

Ease up, it's just a trick they use on you, knowing they can manipulate you with a little psychological trick to make you feel it's your fault. Who said dogs are dumb.

Now that we realize who rules our household, Wilson does a great job of making me feel inadequate also.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It is just a relocation type thing. Once the dog has been with you for a week or so and is feeling more comfortable he will start eating. Mine did the same thing, not to worry!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems like a switch was flipped or something last night as Olivia slept.

This morning I woke up because she was chasing our Retriever around the front room, he is not a barker, but that's ok as she was doing enough barking for the two of them.

I let them out to go potty, and when they came back in I fed them as I have typically done with Buddy.

Today though, Olivia watched him for a bit, and then she went over to her bowl and ate well over half of her food.

She also did a run-by sock grab as I was putting on my work boots.

She ran into our walk-in closet where I also found an oven mitt, and another sock. She had them all piled up nicely in the corner.

I aksed her "What do you got over here?" At which point she rolled over and did the worm dance as I rubbed her belly.

Sheesh...I think I am falling for this girl and it's only been 4 days.

[ February 15, 2006, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Grommett ]

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Welcome Grommet & Olivia!

It doesn't take long to fall (very hard) for a basset. You are "doomed".

I wouldn't worry about the eating. Mine still occassionally will go through periods of either eating only a little or walking away from their bowls. When they are hungry they will eat.

I hope you enjoy Olivia as much as I enjoy mine.

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts