Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

We are currently battling ear yeast infection with our 3 year old basset.
So far we have tried mometamax(two treatments worth), one KET treatment, and we have just had one more KET treatment today for his ears. He is very senseitive about his ears, which is why we tried the KET, as the mometamax was not getting deep enough into his canal.

Although there has been siginicant improvement in his ear condition, the yeast is still being produced in the deeper portion of his ear canal. If the second KET does not get rid of the yeast, our vet is suggesting an oral antifungal, which brings the danger of liver problems. I am hoping to find an alternative to this if this second KET treatment does not do the job.

I have switched his diet recently to a grain free and potato free kibble, with the hopes that this will help get rid of the yeast by eliminating the yeast in his diet.

I also use K-9 Ear Solutions for an ear cleaner, which was recommended by friends as being good for yeast in ears.

Does anyone have any other possible solutions to offer in this situation?
We are also considering allergy testing before the oral antifungal, as we believe if he is allerigic to something in his diet or environment, an antifungal won't improve the situation - althgouh the vet seems to be pushing for the oral antifungal.

Any thoughts or suggestions you have would be greatly appreaciated.

Thank You!

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
I have switched his diet recently to a grain free and potato free kibble, with the hopes that this will help get rid of the yeast by eliminating the yeast in his diet.
the carb /sugar feed yeast theory is not substantiated however what you purpose does not have a chance of working simply because all catrb breag down to suggar. Kibble manufacture requires a starch at a minimum 17% but most pet food are much higher. any stearch is going to break down to sugar os a grain free that use tappioca for instance at the stearch can have a much higher carb content than a food that contains grain which results in mor sugar and by virtual of the un substantiate theory more yeast. You need a no carb diet which eliminates kibble.

there is one very basic question that need to be answered and that is is the ear drum intacted. the reason that it is important is man of the alternitives are otictoxic which may tesult in temproary or permenante deafness and balance issue. If the ear durm is intact it brevets the clearner solution from reaching the middle and inner ear and doing damage.

before recommending so alternative treatment it is impreative to know if the eardrum is intacted. In cronic cases it is often likely niot to be and given than many conventional and alternative treatments are otic toxic this can lead to tempory or permenent deafness if thes chemical are used and otic toxic chemical can effect blanace. as well/

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I don't know what KET is. Are his ears really red and swollen? I tried allot of different things I even used womens vaginal yeast cream and did kill the yeast but my basset Turtle also had bacteria and that is what I had such a hard time killing.

I never did use Zymox but have since heard that it is good. I took her off all carbs and now just use Clear Blue to clean her ears and they have been good for about a year now.

I have not heard good things about the allergy tests that they are very expensive and not that reliable.

I am curious how do they have grain and potato free kibble or is that not what your feeding? There would have to be something to hold it together.

I would be trying something else instead of something that might not be good for the liver. Maybe put Apple cider Vinegar in his food, or I think Grape Seed Extracted may be anti fungal. I am just learning about it and have not ordered any yet but have been given a good one to buy, just haven't gotten it yet. I will find this out if you are interested.

·
Registered
471 Posts
When we first got Ethel Pickle she had a yeasty ear. We did a treatmene of ottomax and also gave her a few TBSP of plain yogourt in her meals. it worked for hers

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
= ketoconazole an antifugal agent yeast=fungus as well

for a anternative therapy provided there is no issue with the ear drum the blue power ear cleaner solution works for many where other more convential treatments fails it contain a ;large number of anti fungal agent to work syergistically together unfortunately most of the are otictoxic
Blue Power Ear Treatment

Caution​
: please have your veterinarian evaluate your dog's ear drum prior to treating
the ear problem yourself.
Be certain that the ear drum is NOT ruptured, as there could
be the risk of irreversible deafness or loss of equilibrium. Your vet can rule out the
presence of tumors or foreign bodies such as foxtails. A microscope smear would reveal
bacteria, yeast or mites and then a culture and sensitivity test can be performed.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
You might want to try a homemade, starch free diet (no kibble can be starch free as it's needed to hold the kibbles together), or even start with a one or two ingredient elimination diet using a novel protein to see if there is an underlying food allergy. I had great success with this with a previous Basset with horrible skin and ears - after a lot of experimenting with diet I discovered that he was allergic to a list of foods as long as my arm. If there is an allergy you cannot permanently fix the ears until the allergies are taken care of.
Webster had the mother of all ear infections, once the allergies were addressed I was able to use the Blue Power to clear them up permanently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to say thank you to all who replied. We are still working on getting rid of his ear infection. Although it is much better than it was when we first started treatment, it is still not gone. I have just started using just the Xymox ear cleaner. So far, it seems to be helping some, but not enough. I have not decided on whether or not I should try Otic W/ Hydrocortizone or without it.

I would also love to hear anyones recommendations on a good diet that uses home made foods. I have seen a couple on this post which I will look into, but any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
the is way to much to do the subject justice on a forum such as this and cauld cause some serious harm If you are interested in pursuing this I would suggest Dog health and Nutrition for dummies by Chris Zink one of the fore most vet experts sports medicine for dogs. as a good starting off point.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned THORNITS powder which works wonders!! Up until a friend recommended using it about six years ago (a large pinch once a week) I was forever at the vets with my Bassets' ears needing antibiotics, cleaning etc and I think liquid cleaner keeps the ears moist and encourages bacteria.

My two Bassets will be four years old towards the end of this month and neither has ever been to the vet for ear problems because once a week they both get a big pinch of the powder in each ear (rubbed in) and it keeps them clean and sweet smelling.

If dogs ears do get a bit dirty, or itchy, just put the Thornits in every day for a few days and any problem will clear up. I have recommended it to other friends and all have found it to be brilliant and save a lot of money at the vets!!!

You probably can't beat the old-fashioned remedies and Thornits goes back to 1907.

http://www.thornitearpowder.com/

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx (click on reviews)

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/ear-products-c-8/thornit-canker-powder-for-dogs-cat-and-rabbits-p-7223

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2.5 year old and my 5 year old Bassetts both currently have ear infections! It is so sad. The vet recommended different treatment for each. I treated my 2.5 year old with the Zymox. His ear infection is almost gone. I cleaned his ears with the KET at night and then 12 hours later I squirted in the Zymox. My 5 year old still has the yeast problems.n I am going to the vet tomorrow to get some Zymox for him.

I also switched to homemade dog food because one of my other bassets who is 11 years old was just diagnosed with lymphoma. I am switching all of them slowly onto the homemade food. On top of the grain free recipe I use, I add one tablespoon of either yogurt or cottage cheese. This helps prevent yeast infections. It seems to work really well for humans! I hope this helps. The recipe I have recently tried is very simple although I am still experimenting.

4 lbs of ground meat (beef, chicken, veal, turkey, pork)
1 lb. of sweet potatoes shredded
3 c. mixed shredded vegetables

I put a layer of the meat at the bottom of a crock pot, add the shredded sweet potatoes, add the second layer of meat, and then finally the layer of the mixed vegetables. I let this simmer on low for 8-10 hours. My older dog is having a tough time swallowing, so I then put it into a food processor. I don't need to do that with the other ones. It is important to slowly wean the dog onto the homemade food just as though you were switching to a different kibble. You should do so one tablespoon at a time over a two week period to avoid stomach irritation.

I mix the pureed homemade dog food with his kibble, along with a tablespoon of pureed broccoli, a tablespoon of cottage cheese or yogurt, and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of an herbal multivitamin and a tablespoon of a calcium supplement. My cancer patient went from not eating for three days to cleaning his bowl! My two picky eaters went from eating a little of their kibble filled meal to cleaning their bowls too.

·
Registered
973 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I rescue Bassets.

I've run the gamut from the abused to highly aggressive, total body yeast infections, urinary infections, and physically abused to the point of neurological disorders.
My highly abused gal, had such a bad yeast infection, she was hairless from her flanks down, raw and inflamed. I could also get about a tsp of crap from her ears daily.
I stumbled upon this incredible ear solution. it worked so well, I decided to wipe her itchy belly with it before applying Gold Bond Athletes Foot powder.
Took a while but she regained a full beautiful coat.
I also cook for my dogs. 2 Great Dane X's and 8 Bassets who have lived from 14 to 16 yrs with the exception of my sweet challenged gal who lasted until she was 12.

Hope this helps:

Cocker Spaniel Ear Cleaner Recipe - Ear Infections

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would be very reluctant to recommend any form of treatment without knowing exactly what is going on in your dogs' ears - bacteria, yeast mites or whatever. An ear swab is needed. Considering how long or deep BHs' ear canals are is the medication getting down far enough? Are you massaging the ear as you put in the ointment or ear flush? If you suspect allergies, I'd get help from your vet or veterinary dermatologist considering this seems to be a long standing stubborn problem. We've had 4 basset hounds and all needed regular weekly ear care. I used Mometamax and a vet approved ear flush on 3 of them. One BH was tested for allergies and had numerous allergies. The shots didn't work. The next BH was tested for food allergies (put on a potato and rabbit diet for 2-3 months by vet. dermatologist with no change). I decided against the skin testing for allergies because our previous dog didn't respond and it's very invasive and painful. The symptoms were controlled with twice weekly medicated baths, topical anti-pruritics, and Benedryl. Also when she was very itchy she wore a shirt and booties.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Equal parts water and white vinegar is what my bet recommended for yeasty ears- I just make a solution, squirt it on a cotton ball, clean her ears a couple times a week. I would always double check with your vet first to make sure it's not another issue

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
there is one very basic question that need to be answered and that is is the ear drum intacted. the reason that it is important is man of the alternitives are otictoxic which may tesult in temproary or permenante deafness and balance issue. If the ear durm is intact it brevets the clearner solution from reaching the middle and inner ear and doing damage.

before recommending so alternative treatment it is impreative to know if the eardrum is intacted. In cronic cases it is often likely niot to be and given than many conventional and alternative treatments are otic toxic this can lead to tempory or permenent deafness if thes chemical are used and otic toxic chemical can effect blanace. as well/
Me going to vets tomorrow too cuz i been scratchin' at my R ear now for almost a week now :(

but Mikey we do has a ?? about this. actually cuz i wuz afraid of teeter noise and recently on a lot of antibiotics, one of my agility instructors asked if i wuz on anything that could affect my hearing. we asked our vet Dr. D and she said no, none of my oral antibiotics. however, ear infection meds could do it-- do you know which ones? and are there any effective ones that don't affect hearing?

do you know if Ketoconazole can???

thanks,
Worm

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
Ototoxicity

OTOTOXICITY FROM EAR DROPS[/quote]

Keep in mind for a solution to create a problem the ear drum must be perferated is it is safe to assume if the ear durm isperferated then ther is some hearing loss simply from the infection.

But in all cases we are talking hearing loss so if anything this should improve things for a noise sensitive dog not make them worse.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I just had to say the Turtle just got off of ketoconazole. I was wondering if any one else had use it.

I had never heard of it before. When I googled it I was not to happy as it said it could cause liver damage. I decided to give it a go any way and do as my vet suggested, not always my best quality.

Well I am still working on the ears but her belly that was very pink in the arm pits and all over really. Well it is white. I am going to get a picture of it while it is still white in case it gets pink again.

I just wish I had a picture of it before I gave the drugs to her you wouldn't believe it. Sorry to hi jack i just had to report it.

Turtle doesn't hear all that well any way, ha ha, but I didn't notice any difference when she took the keto.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My friend has tried this for his dog and if you like then you may also check this:-
1.)First of all be ensure yourself about the yeast in the ear of dog.
2.)Then clean the inside with the soft cloth.
3.)After that take 1/16 cup of warm water and add it with 1/16 cup of white vinegar. With this solution, wipe the inside of the ear allowing the soluion to drip down into the ear canal. Then massage outside the ear. Do this two or three times a day for a week or until your dog get relax.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts