Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it finally happened. Duncan was harrassing Stella when she was freaking out at another dog and his ear has a tear on the inside of the bottom of the ear. It doesn't go all the way through, as in split, but it resembles a skin tear in an elderly person. It was soo difficult to stop the bleeding. Finally I got an obsite (clear thin type band aid) to stick but I can't get the edges to readhere. It didn't really hurt him. He didn't cry while I was cleaning and dressing it. He is such a good boy with keeping his head down so that I could keep his ear flat. If he ever gets a tear through his ears I will cry, I absolutly adore his beautiful ears.
What have your experiences been in this situation?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Don't have experience with this. How's he doing?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Lots of experience -- lots of honorable battle scars from running bunnies ----ears bleed freely -- big mess --- some times I fold a paper towel over ear then roll up the ear/towel and tape to the head till the bleeding stops -- then crazy glue to adhere the edges together. These are the honorable battle scars supposed to be overlooked by show but never are -- excepy in the AHBA

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
These are the honorable battle scars supposed to be overlooked by show but never are -- excepy in the AHBA[/b]
Funny, I've never had a judge seem to notice the scars on my dogs' ears. Heck, I used to show one dog who had the bottom of his ear kind of folded, because another dog had removed a chunk from it and the vet had sewed the edges back together. He won a Group 1 that way.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Louie has a couple of very small tears in his ears that i hadn't even notcied. They're are just part of his ears now. They're not very big. He has had a bit on his ear that was a hole all the way through. It does bleed a lot because the ears are so vascular and have a lot of blood flow to them. I would put some polysporin and maybe even some vitamin e cream/gel on it if he lets you so that it will heal well.. the crazy glue sounds good too...but be careful not to glue your fingers to his ear...lol...or his ear to his head, paw...etc...lol
good luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
His ear is healed already, much faster than I anticipated! It will leave a very small scar. I had been careful to makesure the edges were back together so it would heal normal. He has had little wounds before but this was a doosy. I am so relieved.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Glad to hear it healed so well. Did you use something like Steri-Strips to bring the edges together?

·
Registered
78 Posts
That must of hurt. At least he is all right. I' ve never had an accident like that with neither of my bassets.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That must of hurt. At least he is all right. I' ve never had an accident like that with neither of my bassets.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to hear it healed so well. Did you use something like Steri-Strips to bring the edges together?[/b]
Because it was a skin tear with a flap I just made sure to get the flap down as smooth as possible and put opsites on it, 1 I put neosporin on it and sealed it with an opsite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts