Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remember if this has been discussed before(I did do a search) but does anyone have a better suggestion for a water bowl? I' thinking maybe one that is narrow because duncans ear act like a wick in the water bowl and he drags water all over the kitchen, I am actually concerned for the subflooring. I know they are messy but good grief!!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
There is something called a spaniel bowl that's narrow at the top, to prevent the dog's ears from dragging through food or water. You should be able to find one through most pet supply companies.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have small water bowls (for small dogs), but we have 2-3 bowls out at all times. We have to fill them a couple of times a day, but their ears practically never get wet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I can vouch for the "Buddy Bowl" in Steinar's picture. We have two, they don't spill, the ears stay dry...but they are not the easiest to clean.

Tri-State Basset Hound Rescue might still have some for sale and I have seen a camo version in Cabela's.

Alice

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
We have stainless steel bowls with a stainless stand. The bowls are deep but not very wide. Though they are side by side, Moe's ears never hang in them when drinking. I think they are called long-eared bowls - we got them from the Dr's Foster and Smith catalog. They cost us about twelve dollars four years ago - the price may have changed. We like them and I would recommend them. :D

Terry

·
Registered
109 Posts
petsmart or petco

petsmart or petco has an elevated bowl ; it has a wood frame and stands just tall enough to where their ears wont get wet or in the food its great

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
OR...if you have a mess like this in your yard, like I do, you don't have to worry about it, because they wade right in, and slurp all they want. They ignore their water dish that's full of nice clean fresh water. :roll: I won't even mention the mud they're bringing into the house.

It was almost dried up, then it poured again last weekend. Beginning to think we'll never get our patio put in. :(

J

·
0 Posts
I used to think elevated dog bowls were for other dogs... you know the kind with height! :)

But I mistakenly discovered with José that a bowl about 8" off the ground is perfect. I had to move a water bowl on the back patio & put it up on a step. He drinks from it and since his head doesnt have to extend down much at all, his ears stay out of it. He prefers this bowl too... which is a bad thing at 2 am when he scratches to go out & I find that he just wants to run over and get a drink! I'm going to have to work on making a stand for a water bowl for inside.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've had Spaniel bowls forever, because we've always has Spaniels...

Doesn't quite work for Snoopy Basset, as he manages to drip water no matter what we do, and when it comes to food.... he turfs the bowl over with his nose so he can get his favourite pieces which are at the bottom. :?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I never thought about the elevated bowls because they say elevated bowls may cause bloat, everytime duncan coughs I make sure he's alright, I'm so paranoid of bloat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts