Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do ears normally bleed excessively? Last Sunday Tally ran into the house splattering blood everywhere. She was so covered in blood that at first I couldn't tell where it was coming from. It turned out that she had a very small cut (about a quarter inch) on the tip of her ear. The ear wasn't cut through. The cut wasn't deep - it looked like no more than a scratch. She bloodied a whole towel before we finally got it bandaged and applied pressure to it by clamping it for twenty minutes or so. We kept the ear bandaged for a two days but when we removed the bandage she'd be fine for a couple of hours before it would begin bleeding again. So we bandaged it till the following day but it happened again. It took about five days before we could leave the bandage off. She's been fine for two days now and it's hard to even see the wound.

We aren't really sure what happened but we suspect that she may have tangled with the nieghbor's cat. We followed the blood trail to a spot in my garden where this particular cat waits for chipmunks to emerge from under a large rock. Either that or Tally herself may have found a chipmunk...

Terry

A

·
0 Posts
Ears do bleed an awful lot. I know sometimes my guys have got in a tussle and a tooth has nicked an ear and the blood seems to go on forever. I put a wet facecloth or paper towel on it and keep pressure on it until it stops.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
When Murray catches the scent of a rabbit he starts running flat out with his nose to the ground and steps on his ears. Sometimes this makes the ends bleed; in the winter we end up with a trail of blood in the snow. I used to worry about this, but since they seem to heal in a day or two, I don't anymore.I know what you mean though, the sight of all that blood from such a little nick used to scare the heck out of me.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Yes Terry ears bleed and bleed and bleed some more-just from a little nick. I've had the diggens scared out of me finding blood all "over the place." What a relief it is to find that it's from a little nick on the ear and not from the insides falling out, a big gaping wound, a GI bleed or bleeding from the other end. ;)

Glad to hear Tally and her mom survived this ordeal.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
:D I hit the wrong button somehowand ended up with the wrong post in the wrong place.

Still, glad to hear Tally's doing better! :D

[ March 22, 2004, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: biscuit ]

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Biscuit, is THAT your secret to reaching four thousand posts... mistakes? ;)

Barbara, now that I think of it, you're right. Moe had a gaping puncture wound very close to his privates a couple years ago. I only spotted it when he rolled over for a belly-rub. There was no bleeding at all! It was deep enough to require several stitches and anesthesia(sp?)...

Tally's still blood-free. I think the scratch is finally healing.

Terry

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ears and noses bleed freely!!! My field bassets sometimes come out of the brush pink from the blood getting spread over their bodies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts