Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only the left ear is constantly infected and we've tried everything. From several vet appointments over the years to deep ear flushing and still the left ear is gets infected. Has anyone else had only one ear be a constant problem?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
As a last resort, talk to your vet about having an aural resection done. This is where they make a small nick under the ear flap to incrase the air supply to the area. Rather than all the 'try this, try that' you all too often get into with ear problems. And which only empty a Bank account fast.

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&catId=102899&id=4952084 There are other websites if you check yourself.

Just to add, you do need your vet to do a swab, culture and identification to find the correct antibiotic treatment to hit what's going on in there.

I have had one ear being more stubborn to clear infection, than others, yes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Only the left ear is constantly infected and we've tried everything. From several vet appointments over the years to deep ear flushing and still the left ear is gets infected. Has anyone else had only one ear be a constant problem?
We had problems with ear infections until we used monistat! You mix a little with a little water microwave until like warm and drop in ears.. Haven't had any since!! Its amazing!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
We had problems with ear infections until we used monistat! You mix a little with a little water microwave until like warm and drop in ears.. Haven't had any since!! Its amazing!

I'd be very careful with what you put down the ear(s). Which is why I feel getting a vet to do a swab, culture and identification and then prescribe the correct treatment, is the best way to go with stubborn ear infections. Using the wrong treatment, which may work for some, but not for others, could do more harm, than good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd be very careful with what you put down the ear(s). Which is why I feel getting a vet to do a swab, culture and identification and then prescribe the correct treatment, is the best way to go with stubborn ear infections. Using the wrong treatment, which may work for some, but not for others, could do more harm, than good.
Our vet is the one who told us about it! And he hasn't had one since! Their infections are caused by yeast infections because their ears don't get to dry out.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Our vet is the one who told us about it! And he hasn't had one since! Their infections are caused by yeast infections because their ears don't get to dry out.

That's as maybe for YOUR hound. But what's going on with OP's hound could be quite different - hence the need for a swab, culture and identification, so the correct treatment is given. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts