Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite cleaning ears everyday one of my bassets developed an ear infection. We took him to the vet and was prescribed mometamax. With the help of the prescription the infection cleared up in about a week. Hopefully I can prevent this moving forward but now I know the symptoms.

If this occurs in the future to prevent incurring additional fees for the vet visit does anyone know if/how I could obtain this medication without visiting the vet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Despite cleaning ears everyday one of my bassets developed an ear infection. We took him to the vet and was prescribed mometamax. With the help of the prescription the infection cleared up in about a week. Hopefully I can prevent this moving forward but now I know the symptoms.

If this occurs in the future to prevent incurring additional fees for the vet visit does anyone know if/how I could obtain this medication without visiting the vet?
Doing a quick check, although there are a lot of meds. that can be bought onlined without a prescription, this one looks as if it does need a prescription form a vet. In the UK, we can do this although our vets charge for the 'script so the saving has to be considerable for this to be worth doing. I did this for Frankie's Metacam which was horribly expensive from my vet, but even with their £14 prescription charge, vastly less via the online Animal Chemist I used.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello ~ I see this was 10 months ago but I just now am reading it.
Our Lulu, who just passed away from cancer & was almost 15 yrs old, had issues with ear infections. Until I found a holistic vet, Dr. Melissa Shelton DVM, essential oils. You can find her at www.animalEO.info ~ she sells an ear spray that I rubbed on Lulu's ears. Used it once a wk or maybe at 2 wks & it smells great too. Lulu never ever got another ear infection again. Care not to get in eyes though. It is a combination of oils. I highly recommend Canine Ear Spray. You dont spray it into the ear canal but simply rub it all around the inside part of both ears. Lulu absolutley loved it! I would love my ears being rubbed too if I was a hound dog!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts