Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a basset which is about a year old. She had gotten into our garden :mad:
And ever since she has been scratching her her ears so much. I know she she had eaten tomatoes and eggplant. She has been scratching so much her ears are raw. Anyone know what I can do without taking her to the vet.? I mean some home remedies or such? Please help !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re:ear cleaners.

What if any ear cleaners have you used?
I have been using nutri vet ear cleanse and an ear wash and ear dry kit.I don't quite remember the name. I know its all natural with no alcohol. They are in green bottles. That's all ive used

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
She has been scratching so much her ears are raw
which may be the entire problem know1, You can try a 10% hydrcortozone cream on the irratated area [provided it is not inside the ear canal itself. or a local anesthetic spray provided it contains no benzocaine,

Lidocaine is ok for dogs benzocaine which is in most human local anesthetics is tied to a type of anemia in dogs so should not be used on them

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
know she she had eaten tomatoes and eggplant
It is highly unlikely this is tied to eat
1. food allergies are caused by proteins which are lacking in vegitable
2. while ear problems can increase with food allergies there is usual other skin issues involved as well

It is more likely that it is coninidence, it a normal ear infection or there is something stuck fox tail, seed pod etc in the ear canal . Flushing with a large amount of ear cleaner might help dislodge something if it were stuck in the ear canal. Fill the canal with cleaning solution massage gentlely and let the dog shake the fluid out of the ear on its own before wiping dry.

If there in not any debris being remove from flushing the ear it is less likely an infection and quite possiblely something stuck in the canal which is going to need a vet to remove.

Chucky brown debrs is often a yeast infection. vinegar, boric acid and gentian violet all are antifungal however they can be ototoxic With an ear infection often the ear drum becomes inflamed and ruptures and allow cleaning solution into the middle and inner ear where it can do permenant damage. while this is realitively rare it is a risk but temporary problems including vestibular problem ie balance, vertigo etc are not uncommon and a risk of trying to treat without consulting a vet.

Greenish discharge is often a bacterial infection and given the nature of such it is much better to deal with a vet with the proper antibiotics to deal with it.

a web search should provide you with a recipe for blue power or powder ear cleaner. it contain gentian violet and boric acid. if the ear are inflamed I would substitue witch hazel for the alcohol keep in mind many of the ingredients are ototoxic so you are using at your own risk but many people claim much better result than commercial available products for yeast infections.,

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
brown but not chucky can be normal ear wax if it is chuny then it is more likely a yeast infection but the only accurate diagnoses is with a smear and microscopic observation.

From a prescription end I have had good luck with "panalog" which is a combination antifugal and antibiotic. Need to clean the ears first before adding to the ear canal to be most effective.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I swear by THORNIT POWDER and my Bassets are just over four years old and have never yet had to go to the vet with any ear problems. I have used it since it was recommended to me when I had my previous Basset, who had several vet visits and a friend recommended Thornit powder to me and a pinch of it in their ears once every 7-10 days keeps them healthy and clean and should they become itchy, use the Thornit several times a day until it clears up... it's made of natural ingredients, too! 100g size available (several places sell it) if you have several dogs.

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Thornit Ear Powder 20g

1 - 10 of 10 Posts