Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I would just like a few tips really as to the best way to clean a basset's ears and when I say ears I mean the outer not the inner. I have no problems at all cleaning the inside of them but the outsides are a nightmare! Within a day of bathing they are sooooo crusty from being dragged around everything while he is sniffing around and they are almost impossible to clean without shampoo.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
LOL...we use baby wipes on the outside of Annie's ears also. If they get super yucky I'll use a warm wet washcloth to loosen the crusty-dirt first then clean up with baby wipes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps the warm water first is the key, I have tried baby wipes alone with no success.

·
Registered
972 Posts
yup. baby wipes. and same as annie...if it's been a particulary nasty drag day, or if he's had a bone, his ears are stiff and terrible with go, i get a warm washcloth and hold his ears for a few seconds with it, so it soaks in wet and then i wipe wipe wipe til it all comes off. : )

·
Registered
184 Posts
I swear by huggies brand of baby wipes. It will even get stains out of clothes lol. My vet told us to use them to clean the inner ear on Flash, but make sure and buy that brand the others don't hold up as well.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes Huggies must be where it's at. I use Huggies Natural Care on everything. Ears, feet, occasional dirty basset bum, leather car seats, white tennis shoes...

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Often the edges of my ears turn black from getting caked w/dirt & mud-- yuck!

We've always used baby wipes too-- we are currently using Pampers, sensitive care (was thinking there'd be less chemicals & perfume), THICK wipes. we tried the thin, and they weren't sturdy enough.

everytime i come back from playing, megets my feet wiped, under my chin (sometimes there's dirt), ears, and bum.
--Worm

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hector's seem to get crusty about mid way up his ear, I have got some huggies as recommended and will be giving them a try later.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Success! The huggies worked a treat then I buffed them up with a soft brush, no doubt they will be riffy again tomorrow....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts