Basset Hounds Forum banner

Ear cleaning solution

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  sameera 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, does anyone have any recommendations for ear cleaning solution? To prevent infections I find myself cleaning my bassets ears every day. I currently use Virbac Epi-otic solution running about 18 US dollars a bottle. Does anyone have any more cost effective solutions or home made solutions? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Hey everyone, does anyone have any recommendations for ear cleaning solution? To prevent infections I find myself cleaning my bassets ears every day. I currently use Virbac Epi-otic solution running about 18 US dollars a bottle. Does anyone have any more cost effective solutions or home made solutions? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When George was a pup my vet recommend a 50% white vinegar and water solution to rinse the ear canal during each bath. George is now 15 yrs old and has not been bothered with any ear problems including infections and mites.

#4 ·
Put a few tablespoons of vinegar and the equivalent amount of rubbing alcohol in a clean bowl. Make sure the solution is at room temperature before use as no one likes to expose their ears to cold liquid, including dogs. This mixture is safe to wash on visible parts inside their ears. DO NOT use this mixture if you suspect a dog's ear has been infected and should not be placed in the ear canal.
There are many good and versatile dog ear hygiene tools on the market. Consult your veterinarian about the type you can buy locally. You can also ask the local pet store for more tips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.