Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our permanent gate put in this weekend as the two little diggers we have are strong and kept knocking over the baby gate we had in place. The area is currently rock but I want to put something in it's place that will be durable to digging and softer/cooler on their feet. This last week it hit 100 degrees a few times and its only a matter of time until it gets warmer. :eek: They are only in this area when we cannot be in the back yard to monitor them and they have plenty of water and shade.

Who has experience with a material that is fairly inexpensive that will hold up to the heat as well as their digging?

Thank you!
Chuck & Chumlee's Mom

Attachments

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Who has experience with a material that is fairly inexpensive that will hold up to the heat as well as their digging?
Concrete is generally the material of choice for dog runs but it is porous and hard.

While not inexpensive a softer alternaive is is Horse stall matting

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
if you want to keep the same surface but stop the digging placing epoxy coated wire fencing an inch below the entire floor surface will stop the digging because dogs can't get past the fencing,.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
We have our entire condo done in Tarkett fiber floor. It's kind of a sheet vinyl product, but about 10 times thicker. It's waterproof, stain proof, mold and mildew proof, and has memory, so if you put something down on it, and it leaves an imprint, it pops back after you move it. It looks like this:

Not sure how it would do outside, but we have found it to be basset proof.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I was going to suggest the rubber horse stall mats as well. They are very strong and durable. I would suggest getting the kind that have a kind of dovetail edge so you can fit them together and they won't come apart. The ground needs to be pretty flat for them to work properly. But you might want to slope it just a bit so water (or other liquids) run off.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You can get horse mats at about any farm store, and yes, they are very durable as noted above. Don't know if they ever met a basset, though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts