Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past week that Breezy has been apart of our house, she has been doing great. She's settled in well and had only one accident in the house. That was until last night. Duped into a false sense of security, we gave her a little less restrictions and more area to roam the house. Well did that ever come back to bit us in the butt. She had two accidents last night within 2 hours and 2 more this morning. I'm pretty mad at myself for the ones today give what happen last night but I though surely being alone for 5-10 minutes she'll be ok (after all I was just down stairs). But sure enough as any new person training a puppy quickly finds out, that was a mistaker. She did #1 and #2 in opposite rooms of the house. Guess we will have to go back to potty training 101 and start putting her in her crate when I can't supervise her every movement. Ugh! Probably the most frustrating part was that her previous owner's warned me that she wasn't totally housebroken but after almost a week and only one accident I figured she was ok. Oh well! Live and learn! Thanks for letting me vent! Hope everyone is having a great day.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh no! I know the frustration. Virga is almost 8 months and still having accidents in the house. Like you said though, start over with her housetraining as if she didn't have any at all. At least with her being with you, she'll get consistency and hopefully learn from Rosco and Layla. I keep hoping Virga will pick it up from Doppler that peeing in the house is not right. Good luck and just stock up on some enzymatic (?) cleaner and paper towels! Just keep looking at that cute face and you'll be reminded why you're going through the head ache.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Wow we really are teaching you guys something ,I love it.Seriously,a week is too short of a time to consider her even possibly housebroken.Keep the training going for at least a month then slowly try her. Only allow her in the rooms you are in and at the first problem back to the crate and restart. If she was not really housetrained before coming to you then she does not have the concept down at all BUT at some point she will catch on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I totally know the feeling and really it is just something you have to make the mistake before you realize how silly you were :p

Ella had us sooo sure she would be fine being out of her kennel when we were gone, we started real small with an hour and slowly built up to a few hours after 3 or 4 days and then on day 4 my boyfriend left the house for 15 min and came back and she had pooped and chewed up one whole kitchen tile into pieces all over the living room....we learned that lesson the hard way ;)

Good luck and just keep it going, it will probably take awhile but you'll never know if you can trust em until you give it a shot some day

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
If she was not really housetrained before coming to you then she does not have the concept down at all BUT at some point she will catch on.
another thing many do not realize is for most dogs training is very detailed and context specific. If you only spend time housetraining a dog in the house you live in , ' which is typical' that house training completely disappear when they are in another house or building. Dogs do not generalize behavior to different contexts like locations unless the training specifically takes this in to acount and practice the behavior in many different context.

It is general best to assume even if housetrained by a previous owner that that new dog will not be housetrained in your house.

you'll never know if you can trust em until you give it a shot some day
Yes but trust must be earned and when giving the dog more space it must be done slowly. You can go from confining a dog to a crate to free roaming the house without expecting problem. You need to give the dog more freedom slowly ie moving from a crate to confinement to a small easily cleaned room. add a room at a time slowly and only after repeatedly showing he is ready for more freedom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts