Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duncan had another surgery on June 4th. This was a corrective osteotomy where they cut both lower bones and realign the leg so that it is pointing in the right direction. He is doing great already putting some weight in it. He isn't able to run around like before but the hardware is heavy and ackward. We had to stop fostering for this surgery so we are excited to start again. He will have the other leg done in September sometime.

This is us picking him up. he has become a Daddys boy because mommy has to do all the mean stuff to him, changing his bandages and taking him to the vet. Breaks my heart, he was always a mommas boy.

On the way home in the car

"Why do I have to wear this mommy, I promise I won't lick!"

Snoozing on the 2 hour car ride home

The external fixator hardware on his leg with the pins that are holding his leg together. We were changing his bandage daily and cleaning each individual pin site. Dressing changes took about an hour. Now we can go about every 2-3 days. Staples are out now also. This hardware stays on until the end of july when we can do xrays to see how the bones have healed.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Duncan had another surgery on June 4th. This was a corrective osteotomy where they cut both lower bones and realign the leg so that it is pointing in the right direction.[/b]
Most bassets with outward pointing feet never have a problem because of it .
Mariah who happens to be on of the better agility bassets in the country have feet that point east-west rather than north south

I do know that Terry's Moe which we resonably suspect is related to Mariah did require surgery as well

Dogspeed on the recovery process. Lack of mobility can be hell for both the dog and the owner

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most bassets with outward pointing feet never have a problem because of it .
Mariah who happens to be on of the better agility bassets in the country have feet that point east-west rather than north south

I do know that Terry's Moe which we resonably suspect is related to Mariah did require surgery as well
Dogspeed on the recovery process. Lack of mobility can be hell for both the dog and the owner[/b]

Duncan was unable to walk more than a mile, mile and a half most. His ankles were so unstable that he walked in the part between all his padds and his ankles were bent forward. he definatly has a difficult time getting around.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:( Oh! Poor Duncan!! I hope he heals quickly, and that the surgery is a real success. Bogie had a complete tear of the ACL last June with surgical repair, so we know how tough it is to keep them still so they can heal. Nothing like what Duncan is going through, but we can certainly sympathize. Sending lots of healing drool for Duncan!!!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Best wishes to Duncan! They always look so pitiful in those "lampshades!"

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Poor Duncan! I hope he makes a speedy recovery! That surgery must be really hard on him. I hope that it achieves the best results for him! Sending lots of healing drool your way.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm a nurse on a surgical unit and see external fixators all the time. I'm going to print out these pictures of your sweet, brave little guy and show them to my next extra whiny patient! :eek:
Duncan is beautiful, by the way!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a nurse on a surgical unit and see external fixators all the time. I'm going to print out these pictures of your sweet, brave little guy and show them to my next extra whiny patient! :eek:
Duncan is beautiful, by the way![/b]
That's funny, I would do that too if I worked on a surgical floor. I actually met someone who had the same surgery done. She was an pseudoachondroplasic dwarf and she literally had the same exact procedure. I read somewhere that Bassets were achondroplasic drawfs. Pretty interesting.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Oh poor Duncan. My boy Gibbs has a crooked leg, but nothing that hinders his mobility. I know it must be tough on everyone in the family to see poor Duncan that way. Hope he recovers well.

~Heather

·
Registered
782 Posts
At work we use portable laptop computers that we take from room to room so yesterday I went into the room of a young guy who had almost destroyed his ankle by falling down stairs while "in his cups". This kid is pretty funny but Lord! was he carrying on about the ex-fix! ( I guess having ankle surgery and a hangover at the same time would make anyone miserable) After about 5 hours of his moaning and groaning (justified in his case) I finally showed him the pictures of poor Duncan and told him that if he didn't stop complaining I was going to put that collar around his neck!
At least the kid had a good laugh.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Duncan does look pitiful and woeful but I bet he's really sturdy like all bassets tend to be and hope his recovery goes well, he is a beautiful boy.

jasperspet aka colleen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts