Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Duke, he's a little more alert today. He still has an awful odor coming from his nose. This is what the Blastomycosis did to his nose. I just hope that's all it did to him...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from everything I've read, it won't get better. This thing causes bone deformities, it's not just swollen, it's bone.
Also found out it can attack the eyes, genital areas, and cause anemia, if it is severe enough. Duke's case was severe, no thanks to the vet! :mad:
If you live near water, or have sandy soil, your dog is at greater risk. Watch for the symptoms I posted under JUST SOME THOUGHTS...
Duke seems to be doing a little better today, but the more I read, I wonder just how much damage there will be...poor baby.

Sandy

·
Registered
125 Posts
I work in a vet hopital and we see a few cases a year of Blasto. Our own vet recently had his own dog diagnosed after weeks of tests trying to figure out what was wrong. It never occured to him that it may be Blasto as it was December. Apparently it is only present in certain areas ( and apparently transported if that's how Duke got it) Western ontario and eastern manitoba is really bad so here in winnipeg we sometimes get the cases. I have never thought of it being transported soil though...that puts a whole new spin on things!
Sorry for Duke

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Things are looking up!

Tonight Duke ate a whole bowl of his food! He's lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks. (another symptom I forgot to mention-rapid weight loss)

He also came over to snoop when I emptied the kitchen garbage. That's my boy! I think he's going to be fine... :D

Sandy

A

·
0 Posts
Sounds like he is on the mend. Big hug from me to you and gentle hug for him, healing drool from Wilson. Stay strong.

Susan

A

·
0 Posts
Sounds like good news that his appetite is picking up. Go Duke! Give him extra hugs for me and my crew! yvonne

1 - 13 of 13 Posts