Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duke took a real turn for the worst these past few days. He was so uncomfortable, and his breathing very labored. It was heart breaking.

We weren't sure what to do, as we knew the med acted like chemo, they get sicker before they get better. We also knew some don't get better. Last night was really a bad night, and so we decided not to let him suffer anymore. We made arrangements for the vet to come at four today, to end his suffering.

Now for the strange part, although his breathing is still very labored, and his nose is still bleeding somewhat, about an hour ago he perked up considerably, even barked at the mail man, with his tail wagging.

So I phoned the vet and cancelled. Then I fed Duke two pieces of baloney, and two pieces of cheese. He has been drinking accesively all along, vet said that is his kidneys. But if he is eating and drinking, and his tail is wagging, I'm sure not going to put him to sleep! I'm going to keep feeding him...

So we are just taking it one hour at a time at this point, and I hope tonight is not as bad as last night. Just thought I'd let everyone know how he's doing.

This disease is very cruel. His nose is even more swollen and bent now. He looks like a little camel. But so far I think his eysight is OK.

Sandy

A

·
0 Posts
Prayers for Duke and his family from us here in North Carolina.

Annie
Porkchop and Claire

·
Registered
494 Posts
All of you are definately in our prayers. My mother just put down her cat last week, it had been declining the last few months but she said as long as he still jumped on the bed to sleep with her and still follwed her around, then she was not going to put him down until he "told" her it was time. I say, as long as he is eating and pushing his way along, keep at it. He will tell you when he is ready to go.

We will hope and pray for strength for Duke and your family.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I went through something so similar with Biscuit, but I wasn't wise enough to acknowledge it might be best to end his suffering.

I think you've done the kindest, most humane thing by making the decision that it is an option. I still deeply regret that I didn't have the courage and wisdom to make it.

That said, he could turn the corner and the signs sound pretty good, especially the tail wagging.

Please keep us posted. You have all good thoughts, healing vibes, prayers and whatever else you need from here.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It is always a difficult decision to make. We had to help our cat after kidney failure to go to the bridge and it was tough, but quality over quantity. As long as he is still active and wagging there could be hope. You will know when and if it is time. Our prayers and Oliver's drool to you.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Such a difficult decision. I think you are doing right though- as long as he seems willing to fight- Hopefully he may be through the worst- hasn't it been right at a week? Many, many prayers- Wendy

A

·
0 Posts
Sandy - I know how difficult this is for you and your family. A couple of years ago we had to send Tank (our 10 year old Lab) to the bridge. It was a most difficult decision but he made it easier on us by letting us know that it was time. There was no tail wagging, no barking, no eating. What there was was a look in his eyes that said, "Okay Mom, it's time for me to go". I don't think Duke is telling you that just yet. Let him fight for as long as he sees fit to do so. In the end, with his help and blessings, you'll know you made the right decision, whichever it may be.

Love and prayers to you all.

Lynne & Huck

A

·
0 Posts
Still praying here in Indiana. I agree you will know when it is time. I hate this! yvonne

·
Registered
775 Posts
My heart is breaking for you and Duke and what you are going through. I will be praying for you both.

A

·
0 Posts
How awful for you! My heart is breaking but it's still hopeful. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wish you and your dog the best of luck. I have been through similiar circumstances myself and know first hand how difficult it is.

M

·
0 Posts
Sandy: My heart goes out to you. That is the most difficult decision we have to make. I am grateful that Maggie Mae went on her own so I didn't have to make that decision. You will continue to do what you think is best for him. I believe you will know in your heart when and if to let him go. That is what we do for our kids. I will continue to pray daily for him.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
My prayers go out to you and Duke. I'm sure you'll do whatever is best for him, no matter what it may be.

Terry

·
Registered
38 Posts
Best of luck and your obviously in the thoughts and prayers of all of us. I think the really hardest cases are like yours, where things deteriorate so slowly and make such decisions so difficult and never obvious. However, when you love your pet you will know, and he will let you know that it's...ok.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts