Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl Penny has a fairly large wound (2 1/2 in square where the skin was removed) from surgery. It has been several weeks now and it is still not dried up. The vet said that it is not unusual for a wound like hers to take a while to heal. Twice daily I clean the wound and apply silvadine cream. I recently added benedryl to the regime, as suggested by the vet. Does anyone know of something else that might help? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I don't know if you could do this or not (maybe run it by your vet first) but you could try using a tea bag on it, the tannins help dry it out without making it itch. Soak a tea bag in hot water, let it cool and then dab it on. Gold Bond Powder might also work but again I would run it by the vet before trying either one of these things.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The teabag idea sounds good, but will speak to the vet first. I really wish they could have done better, but the tumor was on the skin and they had to take extra to make sure. On a positive note the big incision on her hip looks beautiful. She goes tomorrow for her first round of chemo. Thankfully, she's a tough girl. Thanks again for the suggestion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts