Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl Droopy was in heat right around Valentines day. We have a male dog, so we were very careful about watching them, so that she doesn't get pregnant. But now I'm worried. She's huge! She has been sleeping a lot and has just started getting milk. I've been feeling her tummy and I don't feel any lumps (puppies). We do plan to get her spayed, but money has been tight lately and we hadn't gotten around to it yet. Like I said, we were very careful about keeping the dogs apart, but if I know my kids and how much "They want a puppy!" It wouldn't surprise me if one of them purposely let them get together. I am wondering if maybe it's a false pregnancy, hoping it is anyway. If she was in heat that long ago, don't you think if she was pregnant, we'd feel the puppies by now? Also, how common are false pregnancies?

I know some of you are going to "lecture" me about the importance of spaying and unwanted dogs all over and all that, but please, I already know that and I don't want to be lectured, I'm just looking for some information about false pregnancies or even real pregnancies.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I don't know a lot about false pregnancies, but I would get her to the vet asap. I do recall from some other posts that false (or real) pregnancies can cause problems.

Pawsies crossed here that it is a false pregnancy & everything is OK. But I confess I DO sympathize with your kids for "wanting a puppy" even if it's not the best thing to do.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Someone else here has dealt with that recently though I can't remember who. You might do a search at the top of the page and see if it pulls any old threads for you to look at. The usual gestational period is 64-69 days so you would not be there yet. I would definitely recommend a vet check as if she is pregnant you need to get her on good quality dog food...vitamins... prepare a place for puppies... schedule time off... Puppies are fun -we raised golden retrievers and I wish I could still do that full time- but since they are a lot of work- we've had to put that on hold till we get closer to retirement- Also if it is a false pregnancy you need to be sure she is not running into problems related to that as well-

·
Registered
773 Posts
I won't lecture you. Suffice it to say, you could be on the verge of spending as much, or more, as a spay/neuter if you do have a litter or if this is a false pregnancy going sour.

Please -- at least neuter your male. A neuter is cheaper than a spay and will at least get you halfway to solving future mishaps.

In the meantime, get your bitch to the vet. She needs to be seen, and you need to know what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree get to the vet. You never know if she could be pregnant and its best to find out. I was the one dealing with false pregnancies. I am again dealing with them but with my younger girl. Luckily this one has not been as bad. My older dog was in heat around valentines day as well and may be showing the signs of another false pregnancy. When they went through them they never got "huge" they just produced milk and then with no puppies to take milk got mastitis. That was the big problem for me and we found a good combo of anti inflammatory drugs/ antibiotics that really helped. One of the best pieces of advice I can give is don't give "belly rubs" or anything when full of milk. You want to not stimulate additional milk production because that really leads to problems with mastitis. Watch for fever and enlarged mammory glands. Good luck!

CTG

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Get her to the vet ASAP, Droopy is still a puppy herself and much too young to be a mother.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's a false pregnancy and not the real thing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I have an appointment with the vet for her on Thursday. I am really worried. She's growing bigger every day and as someone pointed out, she's still very young.

I was very careful about keeping the dogs apart, but there are 5 people that live here and I can't watch her all the time. I just pray that it is a false pregnancy and then we will for sure get her fixed asap.

If she is pregnant, I will do everything in my power to make sure it goes smoothly for her and that she and the puppies are safe and happy. I'll let you all know what the vet says.

By the way, the most scary part for me is the fact that if she is pregnant, the father is a golden retriever, which I'm sure means big, not to mention, funny looking puppies.

Thanks again

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's okay Aruuuu, I know many people are going to feel compelled to lecture, give advice and what have you.

I know this is a bad thing, believe me, it was not meant to happen. So it actually doesn't matter if you let go of your tongue and give your opinion. The fact of the matter is, if she is indeed pregnant, whatever you say or don't say, cannot change that. Also, whatever you say or don't say, cannot possibly make me feel any worse than I already do.

All I can tell you is, I'm going to make sure I take care of her and the puppies the best way I can.

I will update again tomorrow after she goes to the vet and let everyone know.

I do appreciate being able to come to this group for opinions and advice. The most important thing is taking care of our doggies. Whatever anyone feels about me personally, has no bearing.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Everything you say is very true, Ginny.

Is there a Humane Society in your area? My son the college student had his cat neutered by the Humane Society and it was much cheaper than having a vet do it. Just a thought......

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, Droopy is pregnant. As a matter of fact, she is so pregnant, the vet thinks she might be delivering within a week. We are going to get an xray done so that we can find out how many puppies to expect and find out about how big they are. We are to check her tempature every 24 hours and when it's 99 or below, the vet said she will most likely deliver within 24 hours of that time.

I have never dealt with the birth of puppies before. I asked the vet a ton of questions. I've also been reading everything I can find about what to expect. I went out today and got all the supplies we will need. Of course, I also have the vet's emergancy number should something go wrong.

I realize now how stupid it was to put off getting her spayed. I thought we were being safe and there wasn't a real need to get it done so quickly. The money it would have cost to get her spayed is nothing compared to what it will cost for her to have the puppies, not to mention the fear we are all feeling right now.

Please wish us luck and a safe delivery for Droopy and the puppies.
Thanks

·
Registered
773 Posts
Is there anyone in your area you could call for some help? I've sat in on the birth of puppies, and if all goes well it isn't bad. But, if and when I ever have a litter, I'm going to ask one of my breeder friends for some help. Even if all they do is hold my hand!

Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well for Droopy and her pups.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Now is the time to take cookies to your vet and ask for his/her help.

Seriously.

If it were me, I would not go into this alone, esp. given the father is a Golden.

If your vet doesn't have emergency or after-hour facilities, ask him/her to recommend one --- then memorize the directions there and get the phone number up everywhere.

In other words, start preparing now. Don't wait til the temperature change.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I raised golden retrievers- long time ago- Golden's do fine- just seem to spit the pups out and are wonderful parents (both mom and dad). We have had one litter of bassets- It was extremely exhausting work. My female expected (and received) 24 hour care throughout the labor, delivery... and at least a week or more post delivery. Ask if your vet is willing to talk you through the labor process ahead of time. Be sure you know what to do if the sac does not break.... usually because mom is too tired or paying attention to another pup. Have an area prepared for mom and the pups. I used a wading pool for post delivery... but be aware the rounded sides can lead to a suffocated pup if mom lies on one against the edges. Bassets are a bit more... well... rounded and we did lose a pup this way. I am a nurse practitioner and am actually trainied to deliver human babies... but the basset was much more stressful.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Definitely I recommend having someone experienced help you if possible. It's sooo hard to know when things are going okay and when you NEED to rush to the vet. When in doubt, call the vet.

I'm a big fan of this book.

[ April 08, 2006, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
May I suggest two things,first a crate. At least till the girls are spayed.Second go to a book store and see if you can find a good book on whelping puppies. At least make a phone call to your Vet maybe you can take her in there and they can watch her while she is in labor.I know Vets don't usually do that but it can't hurt to ask. And if you think the kids let them together ,they did. I did when I was a kid. If you think money was short before, you have no idea what this whole thing could cost you,probably 8 or 10 times the amount of a spay, more,possibly more, alot more.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello All, just thought I'd update you. So far, she still hasn't had the puppies and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of labor as of yet.

It took me a couple of days to convince my husband how important it was that we get the x-ray done. He finally agreed after I told him if something happens to her and we didn't get an x-ray done, I'd never forgive him.

I don't know anyone that can help me with the delivery. I do have the vets emergancy number though, if something happens.

Wish us luck

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You and Ginny are in my prayers. No advice as I have never been involved in any delivery. Please keep us informed. yvonne

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Don't wait until you know you're in trouble to call your vet. If nothing is happening when you think it should be, call the vet. If you're not sure about something call the vet. In other words it's best to prevent complications rather than treating them.

If she were my pup I'd ask my vet about an elective c-section. Not to say that's the way to go but certainly would want my vet's opinion. Bassets seem to need c-sections fairly frequently and giving her young age and that the sire is a golden, she could be more at risk for a complicated delivery.

Keep us posted.

[ April 10, 2006, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've talked to the vet about a c-section. She doesn't seem to think she is going to need one. We had the x-ray done today. There are 5 puppies. Based on their size, the vet thinks she won't have any problems delivering them. Of course I know problems do occur and we will be very watchful and respond to any problems right away.

I took a picture of the x-ray and thought I'd share it with you all and a couple more. I'll post the link to each picture too, incase they don't show up here for some reason.

She looks so miserable doesn't she? Poor baby. I hope they come soon, for her sake. Poor baby

Here is an x-ray of the puppies. Looks like a belly full of puppies to me, but the vet said only 5, so I guess she knows more than I do about that sort of thing. The Puppies

We didn't notice this until she started getting her milk, but she has an extra nipple. Actaully she has another one also, on the other side a little higher up. Wonder how common that is. Extra Nipple

Anyway, as always, thank you all and I will keep you updated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts