Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know I have bassets and they drool... but this is not normal :mellow: Cuddy started drooling Sunday night- so much so that we thought she'd wet the bed- soaked all the way trhough a pillowtop mattress. She continued to drool buckets yesteday. We checked her mouth and flews. We thought maybe it was the brisket cooking - but still not normal. No other symptoms- playful, eating well. We took her to the vet today and no answer really :( They gave her a shot of atropine to dry her out and started her on Temaril- P as it may be allergies. Has anyone dealt with excessive drooling before? This is rather worrisome... especially as I go out of town for a few days tomorrow. My husband will be home... but mommies worry-

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Haven't heard of drooling being a symptom of allergies. May be seen with teething, but I have a feeling she's past that age? More commonly, it may signal nausea, pain or some sort of foreign body or other lesion/infection of the oral cavity. Less commonly, rabies :unsure: , drugs/toxins, neurologic disorders, etc., etc.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is 9 months old...and is chewing on everything. She dug out an old sterilized bone and had been gnawing for several days- I was worried maybe it had splintered and had got stuck in her mouth. Maybe she is teething... She acts fine- countercruising, begging, basset 500ing.... just soaking everything she lays on in drool.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No xrays at least yet. We are to start her on the temaril p and see how she does. There was no redness or swelling in her mouth but I keep looking. The thought of rabies did cross my mind but there aren't any cases in our area right now... and she lives in a fenced yard. I read about some tick borne disease that might cause the drooling- but since she had no fever or other signs of infection they wanted to watch a few days first. She'd be just fine if it weren't for the puddles. :huh:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I had a similar experience with Roady and it turned out to be a hypersensitivity to the pyrethrin in a very mild flea spray for puppies. This was in the days before Frontline and Advantage.

Any flea products used? Any chemicals around the house? Might be a common household product to which she has a hypersensitivity.

Keep up posted.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remembered last night that she had her Interceptor that morning. I wondered if that might be the problem. I plan to call and ask the vet today. Our basset Samantha couldn't tolerate the Interceptor- she developed colitis. It took a few months before we figured it out. We changed her to Tri Heart Plus and no colitis in 1 year. Meanwhile- Cuddy still acts fine- the drool has slowed but I'm sure the atropine is the cause of that!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
With horses, eating clover can cause excessive slobbering. I have no idea if dogs have a similar reaction. Do you have clover in your yard?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok, I know this is strange but has she been licking any toads?? I know my two have frequently been finding baby toads in our backyard. They seem to be everywhere and my two love to sometimes lick them but mainly just push them with their nose so they'll jump and they can chase them. This causes a bit of excess drooling. Its a joy. :rolleyes:

I also know the toads are out with vengance this year with all this rain.

Keeping our paws crossed that Cuddy is doing better.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How odd that you mentioned the toads! We were at the vets today (check up time) and he said the same thing. There are toxins on the frogs skin that cause drooling. She had buckets of drool for 2 days though, and I am worried that it might have been her heartworm medicine, but the vet wants us to go ahead and give her the Interceptor next month to see. She seems fine now- such a silly baby. We do call her our princess so maybe she tried kissing a frog :unsure:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts