Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious, as i've been drooling more the past 2 days.

my person wants to know if that's normal, just from being older? well, i am one now.

up till now, i've been pretty dry mouthed overall. flinging spit occasionally, long strands of drool just when i'm about to eat something.

but last night, i was sleeping and i made a big drool pile. i usually sleep dry. and then i drooled so much there was a tiny pool on the carpet, while i was sleeping! (i was dripping from the couch...)

today i'm more drooly too. otherwise, i seem fine. i act like myself. i been eating and drinking without problems. and #1, #2 too.
--Worm

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Yes check his mouth well,something stuck in the teeth can do this if you don't find anything go for the vet visit.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I read your post and did a quick search on the forum and found the (almost) exact same thing written 8 years ago in a thread: http://www.basset.net/boards/basset-hound-health-genetics/7128-increased-drool.html

My first inclination would be to check his teeth. Then to ask if you recently gave him flea meds, maybe this is a reaction to that. Don't know. But come on Wormie, suck it up (literally!) :) Hope all is well, keep us posted!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yup i'd check the teeth. Or maybe he's having a lot of stomach acid. OR...if it's only when he's sleeping...maybe he's just dreaming of food ;)
But yeah, let's rule out the other bits first!

·
Registered
151 Posts
What do you look for when checking their teeth?

Maggie has recently started to drool a bit, too.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
my she-grand-human says I've got a leaky gasket
when she gives me water at her house, I lift my head and turn (cuz there's more going on there than at my house) and theres just a line of water hitting the floor.
she has tile. and she LUBS me! so it's all good.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You want to look for small (usually) sticks ,pieces of bone,if he got something he shouldn't have,anything that doesn't look normal.Gum infection, broken tooth.etc.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
At the 10-11 mnth range the 3 third molars erupt. similar to wisdom teeth in humans this is often signifyed by a seconded chewing phase that is often worse than the first

as for the answer to the question is yes but it is not sudden lip tend to become droopier and hold siliva in less well as well as adding leverage to sling it farther. Add a tooth loss here or there and you can have a dog become a fountain as he ages.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You want to look for small (usually) sticks ,pieces of bone,if he got something he shouldn't have,anything that doesn't look normal.Gum infection, broken tooth.etc.
My cocker spaniel is a drooling machine. He's an old boy and has worn most of his teeth down to the nub.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone~ my person looked, tho not that carefullee, so we are getting the flashlight out this afternoon to look again.

and Annie, you are a good detective! thanks for finding that thread..
--Worm

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
maybe you were just dreaming about your girlfriend Paisley
With pais out of the picture it is more likely wwormy was looking for a more permenant parmour.
a more likely senario is the wwormy got mixed up on the princess and the frog thing and kissed a toad. Had a cat do that once which resulted in a trip to the emergency vet from Sub Q fluids because he was drooling so much. It probably tried to eat it though so a little peck on the lips probably results in a lot less drool.

wwormy=toad kisser

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't know if this is true for dogs, but there's a fungus or something on clover that makes horses slobber a lot, and it's very bad this year. Wormie, protect your teeth, because that helps keep the slobber from making its way out. Lightning had to have a molar removed, and now he's always got a big string of drool hanging down. Does NOT impress the ladies!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts