Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up Dart, my 10 year old senior foster (or maybe not foster) on Friday. I was so horrified by his condition that I could barely thank the guy for calling the rescue instead of just dumping him off at a kill shelter.
Then it was off to the vet's. The poor guy had a massive ear infection, open sores and tumors and needs some dental work.

We patched him up for the weekend and today he is undergoing surgery to get him back on the road to recovery! He is also being neutered.

PLease keep him in your thoughts. The woman who abandoned him at her ex's house had him since he was 6 weeks old. When I left with him she barely said good bye. It was too, too sad.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Good for you! somehow I think he will be residing at your place for awhile. :)

Maybe the lady didn't say goodbye because it was too painful?

Sandy

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sandy, I wish it was too painful. Unfortunately she had their son with them (please send drool for him too - he can't be rescued) and was far more interested in dragging the ex off to berate him for something.

It was all I could do not to slap her silly.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Good luck to you and your new senior. He may feel somewhat put out by the vet visit but I'm sure he'll quickly learn to appreciate his new retirement home.

My friend adopted a senior Basset who was estimated to be nine-to-ten years old by her vet at the time. Rupert lived with them for four years and time and again he made them wonder if he was a much younger dog. He wasn't but he acted like he was. He was a good, sweet dog who earned the right to be a little cranky now and again. He passed on this summer. Though they didn't get to enjoy his younger years and only had him for a relatively short time, he was much loved. Perhaps not as deeply as a dog raised from puppyhood, but certainly as a dear, dear, friend.

Terry

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
What a saint you are to give Dart a wonderful, loving forever home for his remaining years. We send healing drool that he will bounce back from the surgeries and poor health quickly, and be a loving companion for your family. Keep us posted on how things go and we can't wait for Dart pics to start coming.

Aroooos from Bogie Carter!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
I love the seniors. Thank you so much for giving him what he deserves... love and luxury! Bo (my rescue of 8 months) will be 14 in October. You can tell he is so thankful for everything I give him. But that love he gives me is behond words.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts