Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI There - Looking for your expert advice once again, this time on getting a dog flap. I have a nine year old basset who prefers to stay in the house while we go to work but the new baby is now 12 weeks and has completed all his jabs and loves being in the garden so Im going to put in a door flap. Any suggestions much appreciated - oh and size suggestions would be great !

·
Registered
465 Posts
Check out the thread from sometime in December:

Need Input: Wall Mounted Dog Doors

It has a lot of good advice about dog doors in general.

P.S. Anyone have a shortcut for linking topics into new threads? I tried Quick Access but must not be doing something right!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have the standard PetSafe dog doors, which work great, but mine haven't held up well over the five years I've had them. The flaps seemed to have shrunk a bit, so they let a lot of outside air in. Luckily, one goes into the garage and the second goes from the garage to the back yard, so it's not like the dog flap is the only thing between me and the weather. Also, they came with plastic screws, and a few of them broke during the installation process.

All that being said, I love my dog doors almost as much as my dogs love them. Other dogs in the neighborhood have come inside, but so far no other critters.

I'm pretty sure that I got the large door. Whatever you go with, be sure to mount it a little lower to allow for Basset's short legs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts