Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why it's responsible to pick up after our dogs. :)
Compared with the widespread use of fertilizers and pesticides, or hazardous materials like motor oil, sewage, and industrial waste, a little dog poop washed down the storm drain doesn’t seem like it should be a big issue, does it?

Until recently, that was the consensus. But with the development of new techniques that can help narrow down the sources of bacterial contamination in water sources, pet waste has emerged as a major contributor to the water pollution problem.
The full "treatment" of this topic can be found here.
:eek:

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yes.

I'm working right now to try and build a little composting center which will utilize (among other things) an entire barn full of old straw :D

The poo has to compost for at least a year to be safe. Which means figuring out the little composting system is getting to be kind of a chore. :mad:

In the process of researching this, though, I've run into lots of info on what to do about doggie poo, if composting, bagging up and tossing out or other means of disposal just won't work.

Lots of info on this out there. Timely post, Betsy!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
BTW, for those thinking you can just toss the doggie doo into the compost --- the doggie doo goes in a separate compost bin from that I'll be using for gardens, and will be going into areas which essentially need fill soil. I'll be composting it with the red worms, coffee grounds, egg shells, etc.

At this point, I have four bins going. :roll: Whoever said composting was easy? :mad:

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Actually, what really drives me nuts is people who complain about dog poop on the ground, then toss their cigarette butts all over. At least nature has a method of dealing with the poop....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts