Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wow, thanks...and I am down to my last dose for my guys...need to stock up quick so I am sure to have it....even though I live in a northern climate...I treat my boys all year round.............

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I personally know several owners who only use heart worm preventative during the "skeeter season". J
that was the old guidlines by American heartworm society but the importation of new varieitues of misquitoes makes it possible for them to survive in urban climates year round so the new guidleines call for year round protection,

Canine guidelines
Chemoprophylaxis: AHS recommends year-round administration of
chemoprophylactic drugs to prevent heartworm disease, increase compliance
and control pathogenic and/or zoonotic parasites

...Aedes albopictus (Asian tiger mosquito), which was introduced into the southeastern United States in 1987, has now spread north approaching Canada and has extended past the Rocky Mountains to the west coast. This urban-dwelling mosquito is able to reproduce in small containers such as flower pots. In the northern half of the United States, urban sprawl has led to the formation of “heat islands”, as buildings and parking lots retain heat during the day and subsequently radiate it during the night. This can potentially create microenvironments that support development of heartworm larvae in mosquito vectors during colder months, thus lengthening the transmission season.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Just for clarification it is not the preventitives that is in short suplly but the arsenic containing drug used to treat dogs with a heartworm infection. There are alternitive treatments from surgery to simply using preventitives on a continious basis.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The preventitives can also be useful to keep your dog from reinfecting themselves with other parasites as well.Hookworm,roundworm etc You have to use the Heartguard Plus.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'm glad we are too far north for heartworms. The vet said that the only cases of heartworm ever reported in Alberta were from dogs who had just returned from the US. The big shortage here is in chemo drugs. There are 17 different ones that are in short supply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts