Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
608 Posts
Sorry about the trouble with Homer. I think he has crossed a boundry actually attacking you for your food. Resource guarding is bad enough but I think this is definately a big step up from that.

I don't think a trainer is the answer. It sounds like you need the help of a PROPERLY QUALIFIED animal behaviourist. I would contact your nearest veterinary college or university and enquire about this, or even your vet could recommend someone qualified with experience.

When I had the behaviour problems with my westie, I phoned the veterinary university and saw a behaviourist who was a vet, she then done a 3year study of wolves in their natural habitat, and finally she taught this subject at university, and believe it or not ,she was cheaper than others who had little or no proper qualifications.

Sorry to rant on, but I know how fond you are of Homer and if you haven't already then I would take him to an expert. :)

· Registered
608 Posts
I know how hard this is for you and in no way do I want to add to that but, I feel for Homer's and your sake that I should voice some reservations that I have, and hopefully find that I am just being my usual cynical self :) .

This lady in NJ, wants to adopt Homer, in spite of the fact that she knows he is aggressive to cats(she has TWO cats) she knows he is also aggressive to other small animals (she has TWO small rescue dogs) She is also aware that he attacked you and had to be pulled off, because he wanted YOUR food.(Her mother lives with her whom I would presume to be elderly and therefore vulnerable and I would guess could be at risk) and not only has she agreed to take him but is extremely keen to do so as she has always wanted a basset, and seems to think without even meeting the dog, that his long-standing aggression problems, can be cured by giving him more exercise.

It begs the question... if she is so keen to have a basset that she is more than willing to take one that seems to be a very bad and possibly dangerous mix for her family, then why did she not apply to Tri-state basset rescue for one? They say on their website, that they have 30-60bassets in at any one time and I'm sure with her credentials she would not have to wait that long, and get one that would be a far better mix for her situation. Hope you can understand why I am a bit sceptical.

Can I say that if the friend who set this up is more of a casual aquaintance,than a long standing friend, then I would thoroughly check this woman out myself before I parted with my dog. I would want the address of her vet, and the name of the rescue of which she is affilliated and I would make enquiries.

I really hope that everything works out with Homer and that at the end of the day you both have peace about the whole situation :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.