Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These weren't bassets so sorry if this post is inappropriate here . Over 70 dogs that were Maltese, Chihuahuas and Yorkies were rescued. The crazy thing about this is that her puppymill was within 2 miles of my house in Oklahoma City and I know the exact building they were in. Over 102 degrees in the mill, many had coin sized tumors, cramped kennels, and flea/urine/feces invested. To no surprise she was selling on the Internet and in the newspaper. Hope the breeder is punished and these dogs get adopted into a loving home.

Dogs rescued from Oklahoma puppy mill | NewsOK.com

·
Registered
878 Posts
It upsets me greatly to even see the words "puppy mill" and even more so if I see anything connected to Basset Hounds in them!

PUPPY MILLS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM THE WORLD!! :(

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
PUPPY MILLS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM THE WORLD!!
One need to be realisitic banning is never effective. There is a reason they exist and until that reason is removed they will continue to exist. Unless and until those in the fancy and concered citizen ect work together at deminishing and eliminating those reason One need only to look at a couple of the "responsible breeder" thread to get at some of the reasons,

1. Breeding restriction, There are a large number of potential owners that don't want to whether they can or can breed the dog, most don't have the intention to breed but they resent being told or prevent for doing so if they so chose, so they seek out sources without a restriction.

2. Intrusive inquiry. It is like a reputable breeder/rescue is going to ask a lot of question and be very demanding on the what the home the pups are going to are like. Most find the process a little demeaning. overbearing and cumbersome even thoose that understand the purpose. There is also a common view dog as property v s family member. One is more willing to accept the intrusion as a process of adopting a new family member but less like if purchasing a piece of property like a new car.

3. Impulse buyer. Being out their ready and available to a consumer looking to buy. Making it hard to find a responsible breeder makes it more likely that someone buys from a more convenient source.

4. actual availability Quite simply there are not enough dogs from reputable sources to fill the desires and needs of the market. If that were not the case per shops would not be able to sell a poorer quality, more expensive product.

Much like how Nathan Winogard ligitimately puat the problem of animal kill rates at shelter squaerly at the feet of shelter management an not on the straw argument of pet overpopulation. The same can be said of puppymills as well. The exist simply beacuse they fill a need in the market that is not being met by other sources. Until more reputable sources step up to meet these needs in the market they will continue to exist.

Banning just move it to theunderground ecomomy. While it is likely to slightly reduce the numbers supplied do so comes with a whole host of social costs clear demonstrated by prohibitions of the past (alcohol) and present (current war on drugs)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Until more reputable sources step up to meet these needs in the market they will continue to exist.
I don't think more reputable sources stepping up to meet the "availability" standard would help that much. If a person knows enough that they should go to a reputable breeder to buy a pet, I think they would wait until one of those breeders has an available dog simply because they know the truth about buying a dog anywhere else.

So you might say the average buyer who doesn't know the difference between buying from a reputable breeder vs buying anywhere else has a better chance of coming across one that is reputable if there were more reputable breeders. However, in this case I think the price difference would drive them away, reputable breeders having $500-$1500 dogs while a random buyer could get a dog in the newspaper for $200.

For these reasons I think it comes down more so to individual buyers educating their selves before buying rather than reputable breeders stepping up to meet the quantity market demands as far as the argument on how to minimize puppy mills.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts