Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters beloved pet rat died last night, she'd had her for a couple of years. It might seem like a small thing to a lot of people but to her it was devastating. The only thing that gave her any comfort was a big ole basset with sympathetic eyes. My daughter was bawling and Cannoli was so worried, she just wouldn't leave her side. When I finally got my daughter calmed down and tucked in Cannoli was right there with her. I know from experience how comforting a dog can be, it was so nice to see that at work for my baby.

BTW, how fun is parenting? I ask sarcastically. After I put my daughter to bed my boyfriend and I stood looking at a dead rat in a cage sitting on the dining table. I looked at him and said "I don't want to touch a dead rat." We got it all figured out though and buried her in the yard. As we were finishing up about 11pm a thunder storm was rolling in. We got to the door amidst the roll of thunder and crash of lightening only to discover we'd managed to lock ourselves out. The dogs barked at us from inside while we pounded on the door. I would say I need to teach those lazy beasts to open doors, but that would probably be a bad idea eh? Long story short my daughter got up and let us in, the rat is interred under a rose bush and I've got some coffee to get me through the morning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Aww poor little rat . always sad when any pet dies - I look at Wilson and his little face lights up my day :) even though he's a little raskel.

**Hugs** for your daughter xx

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I look at Wilson and his little face lights up my day :) even though he's a little raskel.
I was showing off pictures of Wilson to my daughter and boyfriend last night, they agree he is too cute!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dogs are great comfort. When your having a bad day or your dealing with loss.. it is such a great comfort to look in those basset eyes and to be able to lean on them for the love you need to survive the hardship.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ringo is such a comfort to me when I have a bad day! I can just sit down after work and he'll come up and lay on my lap and it just makes me feel so much better to see that he loves me no matter what, it's crazy what a dog can do! I can't believe there are people who don't like dogs out there...seriously have they never been sad and look into a basset's eyes? :p

Ella on the other hand honestly couldn't care less if I'm sad or in a bad mood...she has too much energy! If she is tired (on the rare occasions) then she is wonderful at making me feel better. Nothing beats being sad or sick and having two wonderful bassets laying next to you!

When I was young we always had hamsters and I would always be very upset and crying and everything when one died and our family dog Cedar (retriever mix) would always be by my side to make me feel better or if she wasn't by me I could go find her laying down somewhere and plop down on her :D She was such a sweetie, she passed last summer and I think my dad is still heartbroken :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry for your daughters loss. Through the years we have lost gerbils, cats, lizards, and dogs. They are all devastating to our children, give her a hug from me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts