Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: :?: Will dogs eat strawberries, or should they even eat them? They are fenced off away fom the dogs, but they could stick their noses through the fence.
I didn't get very many strawberries last year, so I didn't have to worry. But I have blooms already, I could have some by the first part of May.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have had to fence in (or OUT) my strawberries. All my four houndies will eat strawberries. Clara taught Ben and Billy, when they were pups, how to pick them themselves direcly from the plants. And they in turn taught Ludvig.

So in orderfor us twolegged ones to get any strawberries, we had to build an extra fence.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Mine adore strawberries :) I do limit the number though- they don't have access to the growing plants-

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Strawberries are a big hit in our house! Sadly we don't have any growing wild near us so I don't have to worry about them overeating.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dixie likes strawberries. We have ours fenced in as well. Every morning last summer I would go outside to pick some, and she would just stand at the fence whimpering until I gave her one. Sometimes she would even try to reach under the fence to get them, but she was never able to fully reach them.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Personal experience shows that bassets will eat strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, green tomatoes, red tomatoes, they'll even dig up carrots.

Aside from strangely colored poop, there were no obvious problems with this particular diet :wink: ........

·
Registered
335 Posts
Our strawberries never last long enough for the dogs to get to them--the stupid birds eat them first. :x

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oliver loves strawberrries, and carrots and apples and oranges and most any fruit. I don't have any growing, or anything else for that matter so his control is limited. Are they very hard to grow? There is a farm down the road that has pick your own when in season I never even thought about how to grow one. :roll:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now were back to normal Colorado weather. In the mid 80s yesterday, great strawberry weather, but tonight it's supposed to get down to 30 degrees. That will delay strawberry doggie treats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts