Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet wont see Presley without alittle sedation first..last time was a nightmare, well all her shots are due and I have to take her to the vet today..I had to go by and purchase 3 tablets to give her two hours before her appointment..has anyone every gave AceProm 25mg to their Hound? I am very concerned about giving her this, but my vet says shes got to have it before she will see her again..she left a good impression :)
Thanks for any info
FP

·
Registered
775 Posts
Why does Presley need to be medicated with this drug?? Is there another Vet in the practice that can see her?? I certainly would try something else before I would give her that. She is already scheduled for shots on top of that medication?? I just don't like that idea. I'm anxious to see what others think??

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
There was a thread a few weeks ago about someone needing to give their dog Ace to go to the vet. My only experience with Ace is with horses--it seems a little extreme to give a dog just for a vet visit. Is anyone out there experienced with giving dogs Ace? Plus, what is your dog doing that the vet and vet techs can't handle? My boys are not model patients, but no vet ever recommended sedation.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I would switch vets. Good grief, how bad could it have been with a basset hound? Vets are used to dogs not liking them, or struggling. Maybe he her hurt during the examine.

I don't even like this idea, but just a muzzle for the visit would be not as invasive as sedation.

I think the vet should be the one one to be sedated. :angry:

Sandy

·
Registered
289 Posts
On a long car trip many years ago my mother gave some to our family dog. He was calm during the ride and it went well.

Sounds like your dog has been a problem and you have a good vet.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My vet and I had decided to give Francis some Ace for his nail trim (PsychoDog when you touch his feet) but she wouldn't give it until he had a full work-up. It was during this work-up that we discovered that Fran has Lyme disease but it was also during this work-up that one of the techs read a previous note about how to calm Franny by rubbing the inside of his ear with a facecloth so she did that while another tech did the nail trim. Go figure!
I posted my question on Ace in the Health and Genetics section

·
Registered
79 Posts
When Abby was younger (she is now 10+ yrs), she was, and still is deathly afraid of thunderstorms so my vet prescribed Ace for her. I gave her one tablet and it knocked her out for almost 24 hrs and when she did wake up, she looked like she was on an all nighter. It really did a job on her. Needless to say, I don't give it to her anymore, just Benadryl. Like the others, here, I question why it is necessary to premedicate. Good luck
Marie and Abby
Newton, KS

·
Registered
2 Posts
I assume AcePro is Acepromazine?

My vet prescribed it for my Rosie, who gets extremely carsick. If you google this, you'll see it's commonly used for carsickness. It makes her very, very sleepy for at least 8 hours so we only give it to her for long trips.

Also if you'll google it, this drug is also given to people, and it's called Phenergan. It's an anti-nausea medicine, both my husband and I have had it prescribed to us by our Dr. to alleviate nausea from stomach flu. It works very well on nausea, but it does make you REALLY sleepy.

It doesn't sound like a big deal to me, but if you're uncomfortable I'd find another vet. And maybe it would help to take your dog to a training class, so she learns manners and is more comfortable in strange situations.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We give one of our non-bassets meds before we go to the vet. In his case he gets so anxious that even with both hubby & I holding and comforting him we worry about his safety. When we put our hands on his chest his heart is beating so fast it feels like it will explode. Have a dopey dog for a while is a small price to pay. Our vet is great, but he is wise enough to know that if we can sedate him a bit it is best for all of us.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't like it. I gave it to Agnes the last 2 weeks of her life on vet's recommendation to help her rest. Her breathing was so bad with the CHF she wasn't sleeping at all. The first night, I gave her the full recommended dose and she was comatose for 20 hours--she pooped on herself in her sleep. It was awful. I know it's good for some dogs but I hate that stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts