Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is the second in what will most likely be a long list of "stupid questions".

About a month ago, my husband put in a pet door. We then proceeded oto set up Molly's indoor area with her crate and an exercise pen attached to it and connected to the wall in a way where she had access to her crate, play area and doggy door.
I run a home daycare, so she has to stay pretty much confined most of the day, because toddlers are just not the best to have around a still nipping/chewing/biting puppy. So we thought this would be a way to give her more play time, and also learn to use the doggy door to go outside for pottying.
Since then we have also added another exercise pen connected, so she has an even bigger inside play area, access to her crate and doggy door for outside.
In the last almost 5 weeks we have had this set up, she has only had one potty accident inside. In the evenings when the daycare kids are gone, I tether her to me on leash when we are inside, and she has her couch time with me after our kids go to bed.

Here's my question... Is this too many priviledges too soon? One of the trainers told me that letting her have access to outside whenever she wants is too big of a priviledge for a puppy. Of course, when we didn't have a doggy door, I was letting her out whenever she pawed at the door, so isn't it kind of the same thing?
Another one of the trainers we had for puppy class said that having a doggy door is not good for house training because Molly isn't learning that she has to go potty whenever she goes outside.

So can I please have basset owners opinions, please?? Am I screwing up my baby?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I loved doggy doors. When I got a new puppy, it was almost like one of the older dogs was doing the house training for me. Puppy would follow the older dog out the door, and monkey see monkey do.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
we have glass storm doors so this won't happen at my house.

I would be remiss, however, if I did not mention the fact that I am currently on my EIGHTH STRAIGHT DAY without an accident in the house! I'm almost two but I didn't ever get to live in a HOUSE house until February so I'm just learning this stuff. Late bloomers are ok. The huminz are SO PROUD of me. When I tapped the back door wanting to go out the other night she human almost drooled out of her eyes again! He human said something about a light bulb turning on. I don't know about all that, but I'm ROCKIN this housetraining thing all of the sudden. Woot! Milkbones for everyone!

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
The question you have to ask your self is what are your goals in potty training, I would agree with the assesment that a dog that has been raised to use a doog door is never really housetrained, because they have not learned the skill of having to hold it. but the question is how necessary is that skill for you and your dog. You can use crate train, teaching the dog to like enjoy crate confinement, for those occasions when traveling etc to prevent accident, and even a dog that is house trained at your house is not likely to be house trained at a new location unless you take the time and have the oppurtunity to house train the dog at many different locations. So while a dog that learns to use the doggie door is not "house trained does it matter as long as in the end is not having accident and is going where it is suppose to. My dogs are trainined to use a doogy door. I would call one housetrained which occured before he arrived and one that is not. I find it easier to manage those rare occasion when housetraining would be helpful like traveling with a crate but at the same time i reaaly don't trust the housetrained do in a new location either even though there has never been a problem whether is is because oaf more dillegent managenent or because the dog is truely is housetrained vs knowing where not to go and where to go at a single home we will never know. because I won't loosen management practices while traveling to find out. The risk is not worth the reward for me.

Molly isn't learning that she has to go potty whenever she goes outside.
You need to follow up with the trainer why that is important. I teach mine to go on comand. I don't need them to go every time they go out but your trainer may have a reason that makes sense as well what that is I have know idea.

When it comes to training vs management decission everyone is going to reach different conclusions based on what works from them and their needs. Is the extra time need to housetrain rather than use doggy door worth it or is there something more valuable you can be doing with your time only you can answer that.

Housetraining Your Puppy
Use commands for elimination. I use a different word for each function, "Quickly" for urinate, and "Hurry up!" for defecate. You can choose your own words, just be sure they are not words used in everyday conversation, or at least have a unique way of saying it. One friend of mine uses "Zoom" for urinate. Each function uses different muscle groups so they are different behaviors. Say "Quickly!" repeatedly until the pup urinates. It becomes a habit for both of you, and soon you will only need to say it once and he will go immediately. This is the ONLY TIME I recommend saying a command repeatedly in training.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Ok, repeat after me: THERE ARE NO SUCH THINGS AS STUPID QUESTIONS!

Thank you; this has been a Basset Service Announcement. ;-)
Yay, Boomah! i've been wanting to post that too! no stupid ??s here (either that, or i've asked my share...)

Good reminder, Estha-- makes me remember when my bro used to crawl in and out of the doggie door anytime we got locked out when we were growing up. or just to show his friends what he could do. and it was a small-ish doggie door. tho he was a junior high & HS kid.

Being in apt, we have no option for installing a doggie door. but maybe that has been for the better, because Worm is quite housetrained now (knock on wood) even when it rains. Much better than my last dog. He uses a jingle bell, and he just turned 10 months today.

That is quite a setup you have, w/the ex-pen leading to the doggie door-- I am just picturing it, very nice! can you post a pic...? well, one pitfall i might warn you about, tho depends on what's outside the doggie door, is that for our wiener dog growing up w/a doggie door, we had problems w/him peeing and pooing indoors when it rains. We did not train him to go on command or hold it on command; he would go in and out whenever he wanted. so i do agree w/what Mikey says below.

despite the bigger and necessary pain of taking Worm out all the time, one plus is that he seems more housetrained, esp when it rains.

(did that make sense? sorry, am typing sideways in bed w/Worm on me...)

·
Registered
761 Posts
There really aren't such things as stupid questions. The only stupid question is one you didn't ask. So ask away!!!

And good for you Esther! That's fantastic!!! Your humans must be so so proud of you!

As for the doggy door question. I so desperately want a doggy door but we're renting and there's no way we could install one that would be easy to remove after we leave. I've told my husband that at the next base we go to, if we buy a house we're installing a doggy door. He said fine. My two would spend most of their time outside if I let them. I think it's going to be fun trying to teach them to use the doggy door. I think Virga will be scared of it at first.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
There really aren't such things as stupid questions. The only stupid question is one you didn't ask. So ask away!!!

And good for you Esther! That's fantastic!!! Your humans must be so so proud of you!

As for the doggy door question. I so desperately want a doggy door but we're renting and there's no way we could install one that would be easy to remove after we leave. I've told my husband that at the next base we go to, if we buy a house we're installing a doggy door. He said fine. My two would spend most of their time outside if I let them. I think it's going to be fun trying to teach them to use the doggy door. I think Virga will be scared of it at first.
i wonder if a landlord would be opposed to you guys buying a door and hanging it while you live there. That way you could install a doggie door into it and when you move you can just switch it back out? too much trouble?

·
Registered
761 Posts
i wonder if a landlord would be opposed to you guys buying a door and hanging it while you live there. That way you could install a doggie door into it and when you move you can just switch it back out? too much trouble?
I've actually thought about this. I would need to talk to my husband about it though. It would be a simple matter of just taking the door off the hinges and replacing it with another door. I don't think my husband would want to go to all the trouble though. Although then we could just take the door with the doggy door in it from house to house. Hmmm...

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
Although then we could just take the door with the doggy door in it from house to house. Hmmm...
Not all doors are the same size or the hinge locations the same. Take the door off the hinges and rehanging is a 5 minute job if both door already have hinges that match simply pull the pin if not add 10-15 minute to remove and attach !/2 of the hinge that attaches to the door provided that the new door has mortises for the hinges in the right place if the door new door is not mortised then it require some skill. It is a lot more work putting the door in the door.

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
but we're in memphis tn. our criminals are crafty. and bold.
We'll deal with the no doggie door in lieu of a 140lb burglar coming in thru the doggie door. :)
there are a miryad of way of making the doggie door more secure than the other enterance into the house. Doors that use electronic lock that only open when the pog is in the proximty. securing the area the dog are to prevent access to the doggie door in the first place. Manny doggie kennels come with a secure roof as well one of the abacked up to the doggie door is way more secure than a locked and deadbolted typical enterance door. There are ways around the problem if you chose.

If you get a door that is the minimum size for a basset will find that any criminal older than five years old ain't get through it and even the it is iffy. keep in mind the minimium width is the width of the dog across the chest and the minimium hight is the top of the shoulders to the bottom of the chest. something on the order of 8 x 13 opening is fine for most bassets. and most can go even smaller

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'm not sure I would survive without the doggy door... with 5 dogs, the let dog in -let dog out routine would be a full time job! Mine go outdoors to sunbathe, bark at the neighbors cat and to potty. The doggy door opens to a 15 X 30 foot fenced doggy yard- We have a 7 foot high wood fence with a concrete bottom and a locking gate. I've not had an indoor accident in many a long time... but I do close the door when I'm away from home so perhaps they've learned to hold it from that? I don't really trust our neighbor (I don't really think he would harm them- but he does not like dogs for the most part) so my dogs are penned to the kichen when we are all away on errands or at work... but seldom more than 4-5 hours at a stretch- and generally only 3-4 days per week if that. They usually get up to go outside and potty about 4am but other than that sleep through the night... and it's so nice not to have to get up with them! I love my door...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you so much for all your responses!! And I will try to do better about saying that I have stupid questions.

Yay Esther! I know your humans are so proud of you!

Our dog door is actually in a wall, not a door. Alot more work to put in, but the best place for where we wanted it to lead out to.

Yes, Molly does have quite a set up going on. But with having the daycare kids here, I just felt bad having her confined much of the day. So we had actually started the xpen attached to crate set up before we had the doggy door installed. So that was for about a month, and we would have her confined to just crate at night or when we were away from the house. During the day, she would actually go over to the gate opening of the xpen and paw at it whenever she wanted to go outside. the only time she really had accidents in that set up was when I couldn't get to her in time (busy changing a baby, etc.)
Also, I guess she learned where in the yard to go from the time I was still taking her out to potty, BDD (before doggy door). When I go out to clean up in the yard in the evenings, so far I have only found her messes in the area we had her pottying.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When it comes to training vs management decission everyone is going to reach different conclusions based on what works from them and their needs. Is the extra time need to housetrain rather than use doggy door worth it or is there something more valuable you can be doing with your time only you can answer that.

Housetraining Your Puppy
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Thank you for this reminder. That's what my husband keeps telling me, that we have to make the decision that is best for us. And we have all certainly been happier since the doggy door has been installed. Especially me, since I was the only one taking her out, especially in the middle of the night! Lol

Yay, Boomah! i've been wanting to post that too! no stupid ??s here (either that, or i've asked my share...)

That is quite a setup you have, w/the ex-pen leading to the doggie door-- I am just picturing it, very nice! can you post a pic...? well, one pitfall i might warn you about, tho depends on what's outside the doggie door, is that for our wiener dog growing up w/a doggie door, we had problems w/him peeing and pooing indoors when it rains. We did not train him to go on command or hold it on command; he would go in and out whenever he wanted. so i do agree w/what Mikey says below.

despite the bigger and necessary pain of taking Worm out all the time, one plus is that he seems more housetrained, esp when it rains.

(did that make sense? sorry, am typing sideways in bed w/Worm on me...)
Hopefully I can get a pic of our set up and upload soon so you can see it. :)
We have had several light rains since putting the door in, and it doesn't seem to bother Molly. She still went out to the grass. But the one heavier rain we had including thunder and lightning, she still went out the doggy door, but pottied on the porch (covered) instead of going out to the yard. But who could blame her? Lol:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.