Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday as luck would have it I found a doggy door at PETCO. It was the only one they had in stock and it was exactly the right size. It installed very easily in our sliding patio door. With a little coaxing Noonie went in and out a few times. It was a little harder to sell Buddy on the idea. He is very leary of anything new being introduced into the house, especially if noise is associated with it. His tag hit the riser and he didn't care for that at all and when the flap comes down the magnets slap against the metal, also very uncool to Buddy. :twisted: We got him in and out a few times, but it was like pulling teeth. I can get a rubber silencer to go around his tag and can probably come up with something to soften the the sound of the flap as it closes. It sure will be nice when they get used to it. :wink:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Awesome! As he follows his buddy in and out, the hesitation about the door will diminish.

When the bug guy or the gardeners come, we lock the dog door. We have to also barricade it with a bunch of stuff to provide a visual cue to the dogs that the dog door is temporarily unavailable. More than once, Caper has tried to barrel through the locked dog door. It sounds terrible and I should feel badly for her, but she's none the worse for it, and it's actually pretty funny, (we do *try* to prevent it, but she's very fast). And, I wouldn't recommend it for a dog that's worried about the dogdoor. :wink:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I always put something in front of ours. Bassets are not the brightest sometimes.

Our main issue is with Dixie ...Belly always goes through first and she tries to follow too closely. She gets a door in the face most of the time. They do learn ...but sometimes they also forget!

·
Registered
119 Posts
we don't have a dog door but my daughter has one for her rescued staffie cross who Menna loves with a passion so when we visit she follows her all the time but finds the dog door a bit of a challange I think it has something to do with her length because it seems to smack her bottom everytime she goes through it. If we have gone for a long visit we have taken the centre part out which means even my chow can get through at a push. If the centre is in Menna will use but only if something or someone she wants is on the other side.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dog door is working wonderfully. Buddy was a bit reluctant at first, but no problems now. When he makes it back in I tell him what a good boy he is. I also tell him he is very brave too. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts