Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Megots a dozen copper cookie cuttahs for dog biskits-- my Auntie Anne gave them to me.

Does anyone have a recipe they like to use to make their own biskits?
(me really likes chicken & beef & meat-flavored, esp)
--Thanks,
Worm

ps. ... me getting hungry thinking about this topic!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
What shape are the cookie cutters Womie? My momma has been looking for a Basset Hound shaped one for quite a while. She made me some poop shaped cookies a while back. I called em poop shaped cuz she didn't have a cookie cutter so they looked like blobs of poop...but tasted amazing! She used oatmeal, apples, yogurt, dehydrated food from The Honest Kitchen, an egg...and some other stuff that I can't remember. But she said the problem was that she made alot and since they had no preservatives they went bad kinda quick. plus the yogurt made them too moist so she would leave that out next time and maybe use peanut butter instead.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have an entire cook book of dog biscuits somewhere. I remember one with peanut butter that never seemed to get a chance to cool before getting attacked. I'll have to see if I can find it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oh man, now this is MY kinda topic! My momma LOOOOVES making cookies for me (most of her recipes are off the internet though- late spring/early summer time)

Flea Terminator Dog Treats Recipe - Allrecipes.com

This is one of her favorites. Fleas are real bad around the house at this time of the year. (started making them when I first got hank)

Be careful on the amount of garlic powder you put in the cookies, though.
Worm will love em despite having fleas or not. BTW, THEY REALLY DO HELP WITH THE FLEAS! Before I got frontline, they really helped limit the number of fleas he had on him. (not totally eliminate though)

I have a ton more of doggie cookie recipes I found over the months, too.

·
Registered
972 Posts
wheat is hard for the pups to digest. I find that a replacement with oats works better : ) Back in the day before i knew this i made squid cookies once...lol i just went to the dollar store and found a bunch of cans of nasty stuff and threw it in a mixing bowl with random other ingredients! hehe
Daisy loved'em!

Okay, so ...I work at petsmart now (yay new career, right? :) and the other day we went and got some Blue Buffalo BOO cookies ...it's pumpkin and cinnamon, oatmeal, barley, molasses, carrots, canola oil, vitamins...I'll admit...I tried one or two.... they are GOOD *lol*

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I had a recipe for dog biskits that had wheat germ, garlic, beef broth. I'll have to see if I can find it. They stunk to high heaven, but my last dog liked them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a Basset Hound book that has dog bisuit recipes...(plus lots of others). I will has ma dig it out so you can has your ma make em....lets me know if they is tasty....:p

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone, for the yummy replies!!

Annie-- poop cookies!! lol. i made my person take inventory of the cookie cutters, so here's what we got: 6 (six!) bone-shaped cutters in 6 different sizes. 1 circle, 1 house, 1 paw, & 1 fire hydrant! but no doggie. OH, BUT I just remembered!! my uncle gave us a dog-shaped cookie cutter, so yeah, we gots that!

Mr. Hank-- yes, my kinda topic too! thanks for the recipe, and yeah, i culd def use anything that helps w/fleeez.

Does anyone know if it's ok for me to have GARLIC????
Methought my vet said i culd eat all fruits & veggies, except onions, garlic, and grapes/raisins....
--Worm

·
Registered
767 Posts
Our vet said garlic was ok and I have seen treats and such that contain garlic. But have read no garlic. Maybe in moderation?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yes a little garlic in moderation, it can be toxic if given to much. I have allot of recipes, I even make up my own. I also have a ton of cookie cuters and have become cookie cuter obsessed. one of my own is
mashed banana
1 1/2 Table. carob powder
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup water
1/4 tea cinnamon
1 Table. molasses or honey
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk (opp)
about 2 1/3 cup flour I usually use oat or rice
Just mix till you can knead easy and roll out cut and put on ungreased cookie sheet. That's why I put the oil in it. I like to bake in a little lower oven 300 or lower bake about and hour then turn off oven and leave in over night to get real dry so they will last longer and not go bad. I f you want them softer for a puppy just put them in the frig.

My dogs faves are liver treats but they are a little grose if you are at all scweemish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts