Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local paper had an article about the Dog Whisper and working with aggressive dogs. At the end of the article it said "Another solution would be Basset Hounds for all, Bassets show little interest in dominant, never involved in a fatal human attack, their also stubbornly untrainable, I defy Cesar to prove otherwise". Thought everyone here could relate, especially to the stubborn part!!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have to add to my post. I don’t' agree that the Basset is "stubbornly untrainable". I do think they can be very stubborn and hard to train, but with work & patience they are trainable. I know we have been very successful with the potty training with both our hounds, but it takes a lot of work & patience. Now trying to train them to do tricks such as shake a paw or fetch a ball outside has not been as successful, but we also haven't put as much effort into it, just not as important as the potty training.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have to add to my post. I don’t' agree that the Basset is "stubbornly untrainable". I do think they can be very stubborn and hard to train, but with work & patience they are trainable. I know we have been very successful with the potty training with both our hounds, but it takes a lot of work & patience. Now trying to train them to do tricks such as shake a paw or fetch a ball outside has not been as successful, but we also haven't put as much effort into it, just not as important as the potty training.
[/b]
You know, I do notice that Chloe isn't big into fetching yet (and might not ever be). I always thought that dogs were fetchers, but Chloe doesn't quite know what to do...perhaps it's just not something she ever will. It's funny though, because our cat will fetch just like a dog.;)

Anyhow, I have to say that to us, the "tricks" aren't so important either. We just want a furry friend who will use the bathroom outside only and who will be someone to love (which we already do) and will love us too...so far we have 2/3...;)

·
Registered
782 Posts
WHen Francis was young I used to throw a ball only to have him look at me in puzzlement as to why I would toss a perfectly good chew toy. He never did pick up the knack of "Fetch"

·
Registered
119 Posts
Menna does fetch when it suits her but will only put the ball or teddy on the floor in front of me or she likes to throw it at me,all other training goes in stages thankfully toilet training is 99.9999% sit and stay depends on what mood she is in and come isn't in her vocabulary unless the word sausage is included.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts