Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have two basset hounds just under 1 year old. We live in Arizona and the temperatures are over 100 degrees currently. Due to the weather I can only walk the dogs outside in the morning before the temps spike. The pet resort the dogs attend during my business hours offer a treadmill for the dogs to run on. From what I understand the treadmill starts slowly then the dogs control the pace when they start running. My thought is that this activity offers an outlet for exercise in the summer. My intentions are good but I want to make sure there is no risk to my hounds body. Does anyone have any dogs who have tried this before and what is your experience?

Thank you for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point about the mental stimulation. Something to think about

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bring up the old topic. Recently faced a similar problem and this is what I want to say.

Alot of what she does or shouldn't do depends on several things. First, how healthy is she? An obese dog can't run as long or as fast as a dog with a normal weight. So, if this is for weight loss then I wouldn't do more than 5-8 minutes at a time at a moderate speed. Duration of the jog is more important than speed, so if you are unsure how fast to go and want to accomplish more exercise then just up the amount of time she jogs for. Just as with people conditioning for more vigorous exercise is a must, too much too soon can cause anything from mild soreness to blown ligaments, arthritis, even stress fractures.

I use one here from this list - https://technobark.com/dogpacer-treadmill-lf-3-1-review/. Mostly for dogs with high energy, behavioral issues, or when I need to address obedience drill work. I need for the dog's energy level to be notched down a little for the dog to learn easier. "You can't talk to the mind until the body is tired"

I use a simple lead to bring them up on the treadmill. I start off with real slow speed and get the dog moving. I command "heel" which means to stay along beside me. In this case, I am stationary and the dog has to stay in place beside me. I encourage the dog to keep up not leading too far or lagging behind. They will be confused at first but staying calm while introducing this will also keep your dog calm about learning how to use the treadmill. I try to speed up quickly as they get used to it. Having them focus on the gradual increase in speed keeps their mind busy ..preventing them from wanting to buck off.

When the dog is being trained hard for the competition, etc. there are certain things which must be done in order to ensure the good health of your dog. These are:

01. Walk the dog out before placing him on the mill. Ensure that he empties out. This is important, as the dog cannot give 100% if he has waste in his system and it could strain his kidneys.

02. If you are using a slat mill, always lift a dog on and off in order to prevent foot injuries and subsequent vet bills

03. Immediately after the workout, walk your dog in order to cool him down. Do not allow them to gorge themselves on cold water. Let them drink a small amount of tepid water. If the dog gets real hot during work then use a sponge to dampen his mouth, but do not allow them to drink. This will slow them down and they might even vomit.

Finally, as has already been mentioned, whilst working your dog on a mill ensures that they enjoy it and only have positive experiences. If they don’t enjoy it or get hurt whilst using it, it can be very hard, if not impossible, to get them to run it again. Buy the best and easiest running mill you can afford and it will allow you to keep your dogs in top condition for years to come.

Recently I've been asking myself this question, and I found some interesting videos on YouTube, I hope somebody could use it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s what we’ve been doing. Seems like the treadmill is becoming an add on feature here in Arizona that daycares and dog trainers are using to bring in more revenue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts