Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next door neighbour went away and asked if I'd look out for her dog while she went away.

Refusing to see a dog left alone with minimal company, I went and moved the dog into my place for the week.

And... Snoopy absolutely loved it! He had a friend to play with all the time. Rusty, my aging spaniel, also loved it, as it meant he wasn't being annoyed by his bratty bassety brother.

The sad news is that my neighbour returned today, and we had to give her dog back. Cue lots of Snoopy pushing his nose under the fence to see his pal, and pining.

We've been concerned for a while that Rusty, with his various health problems, doesn't have long left, and it's heartbreaking. We're also concerned that when the time comes, and we have to make the Decision, we're going to be left with a broken pining basset. So....

...we've come to the logical conclusion of adopting a new fur-baby. Bassets are pretty hard to come by in the UK, they're not a popular breed it seems, but I've managed to find details of the only rescue place, as I'd love to give a home to an older houndy. However, I'm not sure that many people over here want to part with their hounds.

Will keep everyone posted on my hound-hunting! I'm all excited already.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good luck on finding a houndy!!! Our camping trip this past week has made me want another dog too after seeing how well Jackie got along with other dogs. I think it is great that you want to rescue one, there are so many dogs that deserve a second chance at a forever home.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Good luck in your search for another Basset. If nothing comes of it, will another breed may do? Or even a common Heinz 57 pound puppy? Are there as many shelters in your area as there are in ours? My Moe loves our Tally but I'm sure ANY dog would have suited him just fine. He's pretty easy to please when it comes to four-legged friends... dog, rabbit, chinchilla, ferret , or whatever. He loves them all! Except maybe cats... they tend to scratch his tender nose when caught by surprise. He's afraid of them. 8)

Terry

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, we will be looking at other breeds also. Snoopy's still wandering round like a bear with a sore head today. He has cats to play with (when I say "play", he sneaks up on my fat ginger moggy and flips him over - cat tossing is his favourite hobby). I dread going into pounds because I want them all.

Will keep y'all posted!

J

·
0 Posts
'scuse us for interfering but...it seems as though the solution lies right next door! It sickens me to learn that your neighbour is prepared to leave ANY dog - basset or otherwise - 'home alone with minimal company' whilst they go on vacation. Well done you for bringing the dog into your home. Bet it isn't just Snoops who's been pining...!

Is a permanent arrangement possible? If not, let us know and we'll be straight up the M6 on a rescue mission...!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the thought has crossed my mind... there may be a spot of dog-napping, with Snoopy & I dressed as ninjas. Poor Lassie needs a good home. She loved playing with Snoopy, and didn't mind going for walks at 5:30 a.m.

But she was so excited to see my neighbour on her return - it broke my heart how easily dogs can forgive.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm now on the waiting list for basset adoption - no bassets needing homes at the moment, but when the right one comes along, they will be mine!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Congratulations! I'm so glad to hear that you are 'expecting'! :wink: Let us know when your new addition comes along...

Terry 8)

J

·
0 Posts
I don't know that we could handle a third dog right now, but I'd love to know the details of the Basset rescue here in the UK for our future adoption needs. When we were looking for a second dog, I couldn't find any rescue Bassets looking for a home. And good luck on your future adoption! Hopefully you won't have to wait long.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the phone number of my regional basset rescue rep from:

http://www.bassethoundwelfare.org.uk/

The lady I spoke to had said that recently, there had been a lot of bassets going through their North West centre. Am very excited about a new floppy-eared addition to my pack. I've semi-adopted my neighbours dog also....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts