Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my first dog show this weekend, only as an observer. I enjoyed it immensely and had a few questions about the whole thing. I'm not interested in showing my dog, just wanted to ask a few questions so I understand the whole process a little better if I get to go to another show (again, just as an observer). Anyone show their dogs and willing to answer a few questions? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Several members participate in showing and should be able to answer. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Ask away....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.K. here goes! On the schedule it lists all the breeds in a certain class and then tells how many dogs are in each. I understand M=male, F=female; but what does MS, FS, and E equal? At the top it gives a brief description, MS=specials only, Male and FS the same, and E=Exhibition Only. I have no idea what the specials only and exhibition only are?!

Wish I could have had one of you guys there with me at the time, because I had a ton of questions at the show, but now its hard to describe everything and remember it all. I noticed there are different shapes to the ribbons also. There are big round ones with tails (? what a description, huh?). Then there are just plain little ones that are rectangular, kind of like a book mark. I hear people talking about points?! Do you need a certain number of points and what do you do with your "points"?

See....lots of questions. I'm hoping to get to more dog shows, although, I don't know how many are around my area. I think I would enjoy it a whole LOT more if I knew a little more. The lady I board my dog with shows her springer spaniels, french bulldogs and she's a handler (I think that's right) for a whippet. She was there this weekend but didn't have a chance to talk....busy, busy! Next time I see her I hope to pester her with my questions, also find out about other shows in my area.

There were no bassets there at all!!! I was keeping my fingers crossed, actually, that's the big reason I went....hoping to see a basset or two. Besides pictures on here I don't see any other bassets. I did buy a basset wallet to go in my basset purse!! I guess maybe it was a good thing there was no bassets because I actually paid attention to some other dogs for a change ;) .

Anyways, thank you in advance for any and all answers. Anything you can add is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Anyways, thank you in advance for any and all answers. Anything you can add is greatly appreciated.[/b]

this may helpDSSA Newcomer's Guide to Dog Shows
SPECIAL: A dog that has met the requirements for a Championship. This refers
back to a time when the Best of Breed class was known as “For Specials Only”.[/b]
This is because "specials do not compete for "championship points" because they have already earn the title rather they compete to be the best dog/bitch of the breed. group and show.

Rules Applying to Dog Shows
A registered dog that is six months
of age or over and of a breed for which a classification
is offered in the premium list may be entered in a show
for Exhibition Only at the regular entry fee provided
the dog has been awarded first prize in one of the regular
classes at a licensed or member show held prior to
the closing of entries of the show in which the
Exhibition Only entry is made, and provided further
that the premium list has not specified that entries for
Exhibition Only will not be accepted. The name and
date of the show at which the dog was awarded the
first prize must be stated on the entry form.
A dog entered for Exhibition Only shall not be
shown in any class or competition at that show[/b]

Plain book mark are refered to as ribbons the others as Rossettes. In general the Rossettes are for the higher classes but not always. The Preimium list what the awards are. Also the rossetes tend to get larger and longer as the classes get more important. ie winners, Best of Breed, Best in Group, Best in Show.

Points are required to earn a "championship" in akc how Points are award gets a bit tricker

See chapter sixteen in Link above "rules applying to dog shows"

for a condensed version. The number of point awarded is based on the the number of dogs beaten, This varies greatly between breeds and arear. A more popular breed or an area of the country were a particular breed is more likely to be shown require more dogs to be beaten than a rarer breed. There are on two dogs of each breed variety able to earn points at a show. they are Winners dog and Winners Bitch
The best of these two can later go on to compete for BOB with the specials And if it Should Win the add'l number of dogs it has beaten gets add to the total of dogs for determing the point. Also a dog that beats another dog with more points Say in the Best of Group competetion will earn the same number of point as that dog as well. So say a relatively rare breed in which it is the only dog enter would earn no points because it did not actual beat another dog. If however it goes on to win best of group and a dog in the group had earned 5 point than this dog would earn five points as well. This goes for Best in show Win as well.

In AKC a dog need to earn 15 points and have two Majors. A Major is 3 points or more at a single show. Each major must be under a different judge and there must be points earned under at least 3 different judges.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
[Thanks for the offer, you folks who are experienced in Conformation. I've been trying to figure out what Futurity/Maturity is about. It's not in the my little book about Conformation showing. So I Googled it, and it appears that a whole litter goes in the ring, and is judged (futurity) . Then, a year later, same litter is judged (maturity)? Seems strange-by one year, wouldn't most of the litter be in new homes? What are the judging standards?Same as for older dogs?
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
O.K. here goes! On the schedule it lists all the breeds in a certain class and then tells how many dogs are in each. I understand M=male, F=female; but what does MS, FS, and E equal? At the top it gives a brief description, MS=specials only, Male and FS the same, and E=Exhibition Only. I have no idea what the specials only and exhibition only are?![/b]
"Specials" means Champions. Exhibition Only means that the dog is on the grounds, but is not being shown in the regular classes, but it may be shown in a non-regular class like Brace (two dogs shown together). Non-regular classes are usually only available at specialties (shows for one breed).

So if a typical judging schedule has the numbers 12 4-3-2-2-1E , it would mean there are 12 dogs entered: four non-champion (class) males, three class females, two Champion (Specials) males, two specials females, and one for Exhibition Only.

There are big round ones with tails (? what a description, huh?).[/b]
Those are called Rosettes.

Then there are just plain little ones that are rectangular, kind of like a book mark.[/b]
Those are flat ribbons

I hear people talking about points?! Do you need a certain number of points and what do you do with your "points"?[/b]
In order for a dog to become a Champion, he needs to win 15 points, and two of his wins must be "majors" of at least three points.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
[Thanks for the offer, you folks who are experienced in Conformation. I've been trying to figure out what Futurity/Maturity is about. It's not in the my little book about Conformation showing. So I Googled it, and it appears that a whole litter goes in the ring, and is judged (futurity) . Then, a year later, same litter is judged (maturity)? Seems strange-by one year, wouldn't most of the litter be in new homes? What are the judging standards?Same as for older dogs?
Thanks,[/b]
Not quite.

The way a futurity works is that a litter will be nominated for the futurity at various ages, including before they are even born! You pay a fee for each stage of the nomination. Basically, at each stage you are saying that you have confidence that these pups will be winners. You don't have to continue the nominations, or actually enter, but you've lost the money you put up for the first nominations.

Here's the way BHCA does it:

1. The bitch must be nominated before the litter is whelped. A fee of $15.00 and a four-generation pedigree must accompany the litter nomination.

2. The litter must be nominated not more than one month after being whelped. A fee of $15.00 must accompany the litter nomination.

3. First enrollment of the individual puppy must be made before the puppy is three months old. A fee of $5.00 per puppy must accompany the puppy enrollment.

4. Second enrollment of an individual puppy must be made before the puppy is six months old. A fee of $5.00 per puppy must accompany the puppy enrollment.

5. Third and final enrollment of an individual puppy must be made before July 1st of the year of the Futurity. A fee of $5.00 must accompany the puppy enrollment.

Once the pup has been fully nominated, it is eligible to enter the futurity, regardless of who owns it.

They're judged by the same standards as in the regular show.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts