Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We put up a chain link dog run 6'wide x 12'long with chain link roof with tarp covering and a large dog house inside.The thing is Bessie is provided food, water & shade. She doesnt put up a fuss but she wont eat or drink much at all while in the run and wont pee or poo either. When we get home after 8 hrs we put her on a 25' trolley cable and she does her business. I just think this is rather odd behavior. What do you think? J&S

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have a very similar set up for our rescue dogs and lots of them will not eat,drink or do their bussiness in the kennel. I can see them not wanting to do their business in their cause it is part of their home but I have never figured out the not eating and drinking. It seems that dogs that were raised eating inside are used to it and don't want to eat outside. Basically I don't know just some theories.

H

·
0 Posts
You say you can understand the dogs not wanting to go in their home but can't understand why they don't eat or drink? With Sarah, our 131/2 year old Lab, she has been living in the house since she was 2 years old - before that in a similar set up as yours outdoors. She has run of the house because she is always so good. I leave a full bowl of water down but there is rarely any water gone when I get home. I believe she's smart enough to realize that if she drinks the water, she will have to go, and she won't go in the house. Maybe it's the same way in the kennel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts