Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 1/2 year old Basset named Penelope. She is the greatest!
Every single day she scratches under her arms, under her neck, and anywhere else she can reach until she is bleeding. We have tried many different dog foods to no avail.

Also our dog seems to have an upset stomach often (or atleast I think she does) and licks & eats the carpet in our house. I think she thinks it is grass and it will ease her stomache ache.
Although She loves to get into the garbage(of course who would'nt puke if you ate that)She still pukes when she does'nt eat garbage! We have tried not giving her human food, and tried different dog food as well, and nothing seems to work. We have been to the vet he says she is ok health wise she weighs about 50lbs.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am tired of the massive dog pukes(of carpet peices) on my floor.YUK!!!

Dawn

[ January 19, 2006, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Dawnald ]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Our basset had that same problem. Itchy and whining and than puking yellow spots all over the place. We toke her to the vet and explained the problem and said it was allergies and it was common. She saiid the allergies can just develop and can be pollen or grasses. She now has an allergy pill every now and than had the puking has stopped. If I see her eyes getting redder than usual I give her a pill and she is good to go. And yes it was hard to get out of carpet!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
We have tried many different dog foods to no avail
If food alergies are suspected an exclusion diet is required for a definitive diagnoses. Changing dog foods is not enough because most dog foods have a lot of the same ingredients. It also take up to 12 weeks.

An exclusion diet is a homemade meal consisting of a novel protein source, one the dog never had in any dog food eaten and a novel carbohydrate source. No treats other food items that could cause a reaction. Alternative to Home made diet include a limited number of commercial dog foods which meet the criteria. Remember most dog foods have a variety of source for both protein and carbohydrate even if not listed on the front of the back. Example most lamb and rice formulas also contain corn and/or wheat. There are a couple of perscription hypoallergenic foods also though there is dispute on just how hypoallergenic they really are. for more on food allergies and exclusion diet see;

Food Allergies

Food Allergy in Dogs

Given the problem with Penelopies skin and in 7 1/2 year your vet has not help in clearing up the situation I would suggest consulting with a vet that specializes in dermatology. Often time there is a multitude of layers and cause for the problem that must be untangled to get results.

American College of Veterinary Dermatology

Michael G. Charach, B.Sc., DVM
140-8040 Garden City Road
Richmond B. C.
V6Y2N9
CANADA
(604) 270-6163

1 - 3 of 3 Posts