Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ventured out to the dog park today with Lucy and the two dachsies. Oh, man...we had a blast! We met three other basset hounds and several other breeds. The sun is out and it's warm and wonderful. It's been cloudy, rainy or snowy for the last two weeks. I was so great to get out of the house!

We've never been to a dog park and decided that we all had so much fun that we need to go every weekend! Do any of you visit a dog park nearby?

·
Registered
86 Posts
We too belong to a dog park and Annie LOVES it!!! Our dog park has small/large breed sides and we take her into the large dog side cuz the little dogs drive her crazy with their yapping.

Whenever we show up people start laughing cuz they know how funny Annie is trying to run the with large breeds and can't keep up with them and then stands in the middle of the dog park barking for them to come back to her after she can't keep up with them.

We too are enjoying it meeting so many nice people and enjoy seeing all the different dogs. So far Annie is the only Basset that belongs but we are hoping others show up soon. Since it has been so cold here lately we haven't had a chance to take her as much and she really misses it!

I think it is a great idea for dog parks and hope anyone who has the opportunity to go to one does!

Kathy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hilda used to love going to the dog park. She would get so excited in the car; the closer we got, the more intense the whining and tail-wagging would get. It was so funny to see her try to keep up with the other dogs. Unfortunately, we had a bad experience at the dog park. Hilda was minding her own business, sniffing around on the far end of the park. We saw two large German Shepherd type dogs enter the park and immediately make a beeline for Hilda. It was scary! They ran full speed at us and started biting at Hilda's neck! My husband tried to kick the dogs away from her and she ran as fast as those short legs could take her toward the parking lot. She had some bruising around her neck afterward. We haven't been back since. It's too bad. She loved going there. I guess some owners just aren't responsible enough to realize they can't control their dogs and should stay away from the dog park. :angry:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would love to go to a dog park, but as I posted a few weeks ago Gibbs (whom we think was a hunting dog with his previous owners) tends to treat small dogs as game for him to hunt and we just can't have that. I mean he wouldn't hurt them, but would definitely intimidate smaller dogs. Now if I found one with a smaller/larger side that may work...I'll have to look.

~Heather

·
Registered
775 Posts
We went to Atlanta in November to the Basset Bash and there was a wonderful dog park there and my dogs just loved it. We don,t have any near here but I wish we did.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry Hilda had a problem at the dog park...that's a shame!

When we joined our dog park we had to have papers from the vet regarding Annie's shots and behavior just to make sure there were no problems with aggressive dogs.

It is cute at our dog park...they have people who volunteer and called "watch dogs" and if they see any type of behavior from any of the dogs they are to report it and the people are no longer allowed in. There is a combination on the gate so you have to belong to be able to bring your dog which assures us these dogs have all been screened.

So far we have seen no problems and all the dogs get a long great and really enjoy each other and whenever we go to leave the dogs all run to the gate as if they are telling Annie "good-bye". It has been a lot of fun not only for Annie but us too!

Kathy

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The only dog-park I know of anywhere near us is in Newport. That's over twenty miles from us. I wasn't even tempted to make the trip... it looked like a dreary place with dead grass, no trees, and surrounded by an old chain link fence. In the summer it would be brutally hot. It had a not-so-lovely view of the U-haul rental place and some corrugated metal buildings. <_< Very unpleasant.

Some of you have posted pictures of dog parks with lush grass and shady areas - much like people-parks. Those looked wonderful! :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, this dog park isn't "amazing" by any stretch. The grass is beaten down and there isn't much shade. There is, however, several benches and both sides have really cool watering holes for the pups. Everyone was very friendly and the dogs were all the their best behavior.

If you don't have a park in your area, contact your local city govornment and get the ball rolling! Do something great in your area for your hound! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts