Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Does anyone ever take their dogs to a dog park? A nearby town has an excellent dog park that I took Flash to for the 1st time last night. It has two sections. One for dogs 30lb and under and one for over 30lb. Flash is a year old and weighs around 45lbs so I took him to the big dog section. He got along wonderfully with all the other dogs. There was even a huge blood hound there. He did get knocked down a couple of times during play but it didn't seem to phase him.

After we were there for about 1/2 hour, I noticed another basset in the small dog section. The owner, who also had a medium sized beagle, was the only person in there. No really really small dogs in there. I wanted Flash to meet the basset so we went over there. The female basset was the same size as Flash. So now I'm curious. Do you all think bassets get along better with larger or smaller dogs? Is there a larger risk of him getting hurt running with the big dogs, or him hurting a smaller dog during play? I really enjoyed the dog park and plan on visting there quite a bit this summer. I'm just wondering what section would be best for him.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Dad has a basset, a 105 lb black lab mix, and an 85 lb Golden Retriever. They play hard! The basset does fine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
we just started taking toby to the big dog side and he does great. he did well at the small dog side too. he'll play with anyone. i guess just watever makes you more comfortable. he is used to my black lab mix though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
They really are - Big dog/ low riders on short legs.

We have a very nice dog park her in Tampa with the same sections as yours. My Daisy is scared to go there, but when her brother was alive we took them to the big dog side so they could mingle even though I trusted the little dogs around her due to some early big dog trauma.

They would always smell terrible when we brought them home, so we stopped taking them. I am not sure why they smelled soooo bad afterwards.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing everyone! I think we'll stick to the big dog side since that is for his weight, and he did play well there. Flash smelled a little more "doggish" than usual after we came home. I guess he'll be getting a lot of baths this summer! He bathes well, but just stares at me with those big sad eyes like it's the worst thing he's ever experienced. They really are such funny lovable dogs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts