Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might remember, Murray and I have been making pet therapy home visits to three autistic brothers.

We have gone through "How To Meet a Dog", "How To Pet a Dog", "How To Walk A Dog", "How to Play With A Dog" etc.- I was at the point of running out of ideas, and just came up with something new!

We are now doing "Learning About Different Kinds Of Dogs". Denise, a newly certified volunteer, works with Greyhound Rescue- today she and Riplee, her greyhound,came with me on a visit. ( I didn't bring Murray along because 2 dogs would have been too much stimulation.) I just went in, gave a brief explanation that a new dog would be visiting today, and let Denise take over.

It was great! She talked about the differnces between Murray and Riplee- how one is a scent hound and one is a sight hound, and talked about their physical differences. The kids loved it. I'm submitting a request to my pet therapy group for other volunteers to come with me for one-time visits, so that the boys can learn about different kinds of dogs.

I don't know who's having more fun, the kids or me!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That is so awesome. You are making a world of difference to those boys I'm sure!

~Heather

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That's a great thing. I have had autistic kids in my class before, and it is hard to reach them sometimes. Animals can work wonders with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts