Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given all the horrors that have happened with Diamond dog foods, have there been any recommendations on how best to protect our pets from "bad" dog food? Obviously if I opened a bag and green stuff was growing I'd have a clue, but otherwise??? Would it be best to switch off all corn based foods for awhile or is that overeacting? Remember,I tend to be somewhat overprotective after losing Willie and maybe shouldn't be worried at all...

·
Registered
939 Posts
i feel bad because i told people to use Diamond,but i and others that i know of will not be using it again.They knew about the problem in November and waited a month b/4 they told people...for the last year i have been using Buckeye Pro Kennel Super Bits...no corn.that said corn and other grains are used as a protein source it is in a lot of foods out there.i try to use corn free with the least amount of grain as possible,and no BHA/BHT i look for mixed tocopherols as a preservative

·
Registered
662 Posts
Personally I don't buy regular supermarket brands ... we're on a tight budget, what with 5 kids AND 2 furbabies, etc ... BUT I don't take chances with my kids food and I don't take chances with the fur-babies either.

It costs about twice as much, but we get our dog food locally at a pet "health food shop". No grains.

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
"Only one I would never buy is Iams because they STILL test on animals"

Yep just what I want a dog food tested on gerbels

·
Registered
163 Posts
My two get 1-22oz can each of Pedigree in the morning and split a can in the evening. Plus whatever dry they eat out of the self-feeder, about 1 pound a day. The dry food I buy is Maxximum (Wal-mart brand). It has chicken as the main ingredient and listed the same stuff Purina ONE listed.
Oh yeah, they also go through a 5 pound bag of bone biscuits a week.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
A lot of people make the dog food by themselves - that's probably the only way to know excact what you actually are feeding them....

[ January 21, 2006, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Steinar, Emma and Doris ]

H

·
0 Posts
I was using the Diamond brand on all three of my dogs and was very worried. It turns out that only two of they types they make were sold to the store in my neck of the woods, and it wasn't what I was using. I did a bit of research and decided on Purina One. The dogs love it and the first ingredient is turkey, not corn meal or anything. It's Purina's premium and I feel comfortable with an old, established company. I feel they are more strict in their testing - without testing on animals! No, I would'nt use Iams because of the way they test on rabbits, etc.

A

·
0 Posts
We feed Jasmine 'James Wellbeloved'. It's all natural, without ingredients that cause most dog allergies, and with four different flavors (turkey, lamb, duck and fish -- with each variety catering to a different special dietary need), there's bound to be at least one your fluffy-pup will like. It costs more than your average dog food, but I think it's worth it for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'll be buying a new food now, I've fed Diamond for years. I'll have to check the feed store to see what other brands they offer. It would be nice to continue shopping there, but if I have to go out of my way to buy another brand, I will. I've been considering: Eukanuba, Natural Balance, Nature's Recipe, Nutro, and Solid Gold, mostly the lamb and rice varieties, but some have venison and rice too.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Okay, I just gotta say this.

The whole Iams thing is a result of the work of PETA --- the same organization which was disposing of dead animals in dumpsters late at night. The same organization which showed up in Oklahoma in an attempt to make a city named Slaughterville change its name to Veggieville --- although yet again PETA had forgotten to do its homework and did not know the state is populated by a number of Slaughters, some of whom are also descendants of the founders of ... Slaughterville.

We also have a lot of Savages. One of whom was mayor of Tulsa for many years --- Susan Savage. So it was perfectly accurate during that time to describe Tulsa as run by Savages. I'm surprised PETA didn't grab the ball on this and run with it.

That isn't to say Iams has been wholly innocent in this matter.

It is to say PETA has zilch credibility with me.

The rumors for me are akin to those running rampant a few years ago claiming Iams' parent company, Proctor & Gamble was infested with Satanists aaaaah run for your life!!! and that their company logo was Satanic. There are still people who believe Satanists at Proctor & Gable are feasting on stolen babies every new moon and castng spells on their consumer base. Hey, I suppose you gotta believe something, but I'm glad I don't believe that.

In any case, it's up to you all to make your own choices. Me, I think the PETA bunch are cranks and I'm not particularly impressed by their claims about --- well, about much of anything.

< /end of small rant>

A

·
0 Posts
hi guys and gals: I feed Tummy Boy " Wellness". Although when we went to the vet last month for shots- Tummy weighed 80 lbs!!! He is the larger standard but vet wants him down to 75. Sooooooooo now the poor thing is on a little Wellness and a LOT of greenbeans and 1 Tab. of pumpkin. He has been scratching and crying at the pantry door!! He is going to waste away. :) (not). Happy to be a slave to Tummy Boy

·
Registered
939 Posts
biscuit,P&G is not ran by Satanists? that was the only reason why i bought their products!!!! oh well i'll have to use something else than!!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Now, now, Billy, don't make me come over there and deprogram you.

< impatiently tapping foot, holding cast iron frying pan, looking stern>

[ January 18, 2006, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: biscuit ]

1 - 20 of 47 Posts