Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really concerned about what kind of food to feed a basset hound. My own dog (8 months) has had a lot of problems and I've talked to many so-called experts. Although it seems Winnie seems to thrive best on a salmon/rice kibble aimed at fully grown dogs, I've been advised to try the Barf diet (raw) as well as other brands of kibble by vets, breeders and friends.

I'd be very interested in hearing from people on Cyberhound what they feed their bassets? And why?

In particular, I am concerned about the risk of bloat. I don't walk Winnie an hour before or after feeding. She also has her food twice a day instead of once. I soften it with a bit of water too as she seems to prefer it that way.

After talking to so many sources, I'd like to hear from more people directly involved with bassets.
What do you feed your dog?

Thanks!
Jontus

·
Registered
939 Posts
if Winnie is doing good on what your feeding ,than you are doing right!!! if the food costs to much,you don't have to feed a NAME brand of food there are others out there that will do the same job for less,but compare the ingredents to make sure the formula is close to what you are feeding now.i don't not know how many field trials there are or if you hunt with your dog in Sweden,but i feed a performance fomula with protein levels between 23%-30% and fat levels between 16%-20% the more active they are the higher protein/fat level and in the winter time they get it,because they are kenneled outside year round.when they are less active and in the summer time i'll use the lower formula(23/16).now the brand that i use you may not be able to get and i'm not telling you to use it,is called Black Gold.when i can't get that i will use Diamond or Sportsman's Pride.these brands may not be to well known but they work for me.there are 2 of our older dogs on these foods one basset is 10 1/2 yrs.old and a 12 yr.old Brittany and they still can get it done when they are called upon to go out and get some game up.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I don't know what you have in Sweden, but ...

I've been alternating between some kibble used by hunters around here (including Black Gold, Billy, which is sold at all our local feed stores :) I figured it was just a gimmick that they'd added stuff to it, but tried it anyway --- it's the only food I've ever used that doesn't give Yogi gas :)

If you have any friends who hunt or otherwise use dogs for sport, maybe ask them what they use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts