Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,761 Posts
Quite often our puppies would go off their puppy food by around 8 months at which point I'd either switch to a Junior version of the same brand, or straight to Adult.

Re protein, imo, other than maybe when growing, a high protein level isn't necessary. Rather the opposite because my current buy-in basset was reared on a food that was 32% protein which was far higher than anything I'd used to rear my puppies. He had grown very big, by 4 months even and I believe the food had promoted too much, too fast with the resulting structural problems he now has. Re the meat/fish in the food, choose one that lists meat or fish as the first ingredient as this will be the main ingredient. Not cereal!!

Cut out the treats until your Basset is eating the main food she should be eating!

· Registered
2,761 Posts
OP. Mikey and I have 'clashed' over protein levels before but just to say in my book, once adult, in general dogs don't need a high protein level. I tend to look for nothing above 26% anyway in a commercial food. And although mine are on maybe a higher level food that I'd previously used, because I need what else the food I'm using provides, I tended to go for something closer to 20%. But mine are not working Huskies!! :D

I would just add that the food I'm currently using is 25% protein.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts