Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you use a manufactered dog food,what are you paying for a bag?give the size of the bag and protein and fat percentages.no matter what i feed i try to use a 26/18 ratio.i was feeding Black Gold @ 22.00 for a 50 lbs bag and now i'm feeding Sportsman's Pride @19.50 for a 50lbs.bag. i heard Purina is discontinuing the Hi-Pro Brand also. i was looking on-line at dog food prices and was floored at what they are charging, since i stopped feeding Purina Pro Plan Performance it as gone up 14.00 bucks a bag!! when i was using it, it was in 40lb bags than it went to 37.50lb bags and they up it 3 bucks.last time i bought it cost me 80 bucks for 2 bags and i went to the Black Gold after that.i got 3 dogs here i'm feeding and it makes me wonder what others that may have more dogs are doing,i'm going through a bag a month so 20 bucks a month to feed them aint bad but what are some of the bigger show and performance breeders paying? just another way for the "MAN" to put it to us.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I'm currently feeding 11 dogs.

I mainly feed the Kirkland Signature Chicken and Rice from Costco. Used to be $22 per 40 lb bag, but now it's more like $28 (here in Ontario). It is corn- and wheat-free, and my dogs seem to do well on it. In my opinion it's far superior to a lot of the more expensive foods. In fact, not too long ago I examined the bags of every food in Petsmart, and didn't find one that was better.

Ingredients
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed analysis
Crude protein 24% min
Crude fat 16% min
Crude fiber 4% min
Moisture 10% min
Calcium 1% min
Phosphorus 0.8% min
Zinc 200 mg/kg min
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg min
Vitamin E 150IU/kg min
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 2.5% min
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.4% min
Glucosamine Hydrochloride 300 mg/kg

I have a couple that are on grain-free foods, like Taste of the Wild, or Orijen, which are MUCH pricier.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
just another way for the "MAN" to put it to us[/b]
:lol:

I've been vacillating wildly between homemade (composed primarily of a meat base of some sort, with some combination of lentils OR rice OR oatmeal, and pumpkin and an exciting array of vegetables, topped with yogurt, sardines [if I'm in the mood] and a sprinkling of ground up eggshells from chickens I've met personally and even know by name) and Solid Gold.

A friend of mine, however, finally convinced a nearby feed store to stock Black Gold (I moved and am now too far from the other feed store to buy Black Gold from them), so we're going to pick it up when it comes in, and the dogs will be back on it.

That's how I'm stickin' it to The Man. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts