Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. my approximately 3 yr old basset, Daisy, has this annoying habit of taking bits of food and leaving it scattered on the floors throughout the house . sometimes she hides food in the folds of her blanket. what could cause her to do this?she doesn't eat the food she drops. she doesn't have to fight for access to the food bowl and she's well-fed. other than that we can handle all of her other "quirks".

·
Registered
878 Posts
One of our previous Bassets from the 80s always stepped on her food bowl to tip the contents out onto the floor to eat... we had no idea why she did it, but we remember her food antics with great fondness, especially as we were so lucky having such an adorable Basset, having got her aged 2yrs from a couple who felt they didn't have enough time for her as both worked full time.... lucky for us... and our other two much older Bassets loved her too. She would remind us her water bowl was empty by bouncing it around the kitchen!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
When he was young, Lightning used to tip his food bowl over and spill his food all over the kitchen floor too. He was a very slow eater, so the food would be there all day. It drove me insane. Then I got Stomps, and all that changed. Lightning started wolfing his food so fast I had to take measures to slow him down. I also used to have a dog that hid his food throughout the house, too. Some dogs just do that. Other than putting her food down for only a set amount of time, I don't know how to stop the behavior, especially if she's an only dog.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ella does something similar, she will dump the food over and then play with it, she'll take a few pieces and run around with them so food will end up in various places around the house. She doesn't do it to her whole bowl of food though like yours :)

You could maybe feed her in a closed room? That way the food would only be in one room instead of the whole house. With Ella almost all her food will still be in the living room so if she doesn't eat it within 30 min we pick it up and put her bowl up until the next meal time.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
sometimes she hides food
It has been my observation dogs only hide food when they have more than they need at the moment. So feed less and you are likely to see the hiding abate. Keep in mind the typical basset is alway hungry so the will eat food when ever presented.

she doesn't have to fight for access to the food bowl and she's well-fed
perhaps too well fed which will lead to this behavior. From my own observation the vast majority of bassets are overweight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nitro will bring his first mouth-full of food to where ever I am in the house and eat next to me. Then he will go back and finish his bowl. Strange little critter he is!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts