Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're currently looking for a dog door so the boys can have free access to the backyard. What we have is a sliding glass door, so we're looking at the type that is built into a glass panel. Does anyone here have one of these? Also, how wide should the opening be? My husband went to Home Depot today and the one they had was ten inches. At the same time, the manufacturer advertises custom made. It sounds funny, but no one at the store was able to tell him if indeed the customer could give dimensions and the door would be made accordingly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Kimberly, I live in a cold winter climate too. (Saskatchewan) I put in a dog door in last fall, only thru the wall. It is very drafty during bitterly cold weather, even tho it is a better quality one. (Heavy magnetic rubber, etc)

When it is that cold, frost actually builds up all around it, and it's extremely drafty. Don't see how that can be avoided at -30, lol!

But we are able to put foam insulation in it, and slide in the door that closes it to the dog. It really helps.

I quess my question is, how would you be able to seal it up when needed, when it's in a glass door? Maybe someone else has suggestions??

Sandy

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have not heard of a custom made doggie door, build into the glass door. That would be a great idea, though. Bassets are so short ...I've watched Belly and Dixie trip over the strip of metal at the bottom because it's too high. It's practically up past their knees. We have a "large dog" size.

We have the insert piece for the sliding doors. It's the kind that results in the door opening a limited amount, which is uncomfortable for some people. It works fine for us and the dogs love it.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Pet Doors USA

We have ordered a patio door and a door that goes in the wall, and both have worked very well for us. :D

ETA, suggest you order the door with the 1" rise.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The patio door is really our only option here. My husband tried dogdoors.com and the shipping was almost as much as the door itself :shock: . And the one they had at Home Depot had a four inch rise! If we can get what we want we'll go through them, otherwise I guess we'll have to order one elsewhere. I'd rather not pay a bundle, but in the long run it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's worth the trouble. I don't know what I would do without one. My two have a large pen out back, and they are allowed to come in and out of the house as they please. I also put one in the back screendoor, so they can have the whole backyard, when I'm home. They spend most the day outside, and make several trips out during the night.

One problem.
Getting woke up in the middle of the night by a wet dog jumping into bed, when it's raining or snowing.

I should also mention, one of them chewed up the rubber door flap. I fixed that though, I found a plastic cutting board that fits perfectly in the doorway.
It's a little hard on the nose for the second dog, if he follows too close, :eek: SMACK :? .

·
Registered
511 Posts
Does anyone have a dog door and cats? I'd love a dog door but am afraid the cats will escape (they're inside only).
I've seen dog doors where you put a transmitter on the dog's collar, so it won't open for other animals. I don't know what would happen if the cat followed the dog out at the same time.
Sorry, I don't remember where I saw it, maybe Petsmart?

S

·
0 Posts
I have a doggy door built for sliding glass doors. I ordered the large one from Pet Smart . I have had it more than a year and it is great. I also have cats and they use it too. I haven't had any problems with other animals except my own coming in. It was probably the best purchase I have ever made. yvonne

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
They make automatic openers for the slider that may be a better option. The inserts that go in that have the dog door in it often effect the seal on the closure.

Doormate is just one of the options

·
Registered
134 Posts
We put in a dog door last year - a Petsafe w/a clear vinyl flap w/magnetized rubber. Well, Gracie goes barreling through at about 80 mph and the door was tearing off at the top. Calling around for a replacement I found they wanted over $40 for it so I decided to make my own. I took heavy canvas, doubled it and made like a bag and then removed the magnetic strip from the original and reglued it to the new one. Works fine. Do agree with Sandy tho, can be drafty. Luckily we left below zero weather 10 years ago so we can live with it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lynne, I just went to PETCO's site and found the Petsafe door you mentioned. The price isn't too terribly bad and it looks like they actually ship to Alaska. Some don't and if they do the price is outrageous. What size did you end up getting and what about the rise. I don't want poor Noonie having any issues (you know where :shock: ) because the rise is too high.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kimberly - I didn't buy a new one - made my own. But we bought a large sized one and it is installed 12" from the floor. Huck has no problem going in or out. He is abit longer legged so if Noonie has shorter legs, just lower it a couple inches or so to accomodate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts