Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will never look at my basset hound the same way again...

This is kind of personal, but hey we all love the breed so here goes on this Valentine's Day.

A few years ago I was going through a pretty rough time. My wife had just left me for another man she had met on the internet. She told me this the same day my parents house burned to the ground. My 2 beagles were having seizures daily and had to be put down, and to top it all off, I had to quit a lucrative job that I really loved because my railroad job was out of state. There was more to the situation than just that, but to make a long story shorter. I was not very happy. In fact there was thoughts of suicide. A lot of thoughts...

What kept me going though was my dog Kenworth. He was always there. Right in my lap trying to cheer me up. I think he knew I was having a tough time and knew the perfect times to sit beside me, lick my cheek and nudge me. Knowing I could not leave him alone, he kept me going. He seemed like the only bright spot in my life and I knew I could not leave him behind.

In the end things got better. I got another railroad job, I got remarried and now have a baby on the way. I'm happy, but through it all, I still have Kenworth...my best friend.

In some ways, I think this Basset Hound saved my life.

Sorry to get all setimental on you here, but hey its Valentine Day and I thought it might be a good dog story to read on a holiday such as this.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wow...amazing story. So glad life has turned around for you.

Shyla absolutely knows when I am sad. There have been many times I have just sat down on the kitchen floor and sobbed my eyes out with her on my lap and her face nuzzled into my neck.

Today has been another one of those days for me and all I can think about is going home to her.

Why do we love our animals so much? Because they love us like no one else could....totally unconditionally.

Happy Valentine's to all. Go home and hug your babies!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
That is just a lovely story and it is so obvious that Kenworth is so special to you. It took a lot of guts to share those personal details of your life, and thanks, because it makes us appreciate our own dogs that bit more.

Hope you won't be offended by this but, consdidering how much you love him,have you thought of preparing him for the arrival of the baby? At a class I attended it was pointed out that many problems can arise with a dog who has been in the home and used to the loving attention of it's owners and suddenly that attention is withdrawn to a degree because of the baby.
Her answer was to do research before the birth, to find out the best ways of making the transition easier.

Not suggesting that you will have any problems with Kenworth, but thought if you haven't already looked into this, it might be an idea.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me and my wife have talked about this...but we are more concerned with our Black Lab then we are with Kenworth. He is pretty easy going...Bailey on the other hand is bit more jealous. It's been a year and a half since Bailey moved in with Kenworth, and everytime Kenworth gets some attention, Bailey has to come over and steal some of it away from Kenworth. She is the one I am most concerned with as she is the biggest as well.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Oh, it's wonderful how things come around. I am so happy to hear that your houndie kept you in check when it was needed. Babies and bassets always make things better!

I understand about the railroad. That is what my hubby does. Sigh...

A

·
0 Posts
Floppyears, there was a time I thought I should give up. No one knew but Sabian. He was always there. He still is. I love my kids, but it seems human love comes with some strings attached. Those long ears and cold noses are a great comfort. Thanks for sharing. yvonne

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Very touching story. A baby on the way-oh, I just love a new baby! Nothing is better. Please post the birth.

A

·
0 Posts
WOW! How hard this must have been to write. Thank U 4 sharing. Kissyour little houndy. He need a medal with a heart on it. Seems like U got through

all of that and done complete turn around. Bless U your doggie and knew wife and baby coming.Happy to be a slave 4 Tummy Boy

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Life is like a circle of wheel. Sometimes you are on top side and sometimes you are on the bottom part.
We just have to keep going on and having a good friend like Kenworth is priceless!
They ask for nothing except our love (lots of pets, and tons of treats!!) :roll:

On the issue between Bailey and Kenworth. I think you just have to make a decision who should be the alpha between them.
Henrietta and Winston has this issue too. We made henri as the alpha, that means when it comes to food, she got hers first, then Winston. When we come home, the first dog that we greet is henri, then Winston. They are so much better now.

But I'm sure there are lots of people in this forum could give you a better answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts