Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
This is only partly related to dog bites man, but it might be part of the same thing--poorly socialized dogs and people not being realistic about them. This year there have been two incidents at OBEDIENCE trials near my home where male dogs have attacked other (male) dogs without provocation. In the most recent incident, the handler of the attacked dog apparently had to go the hospital (ER, I think) to get her thumb repaired. I know the owner of the dog in the last incident, and she had told me on several occasions that her dog just likes to 'visit with other dogs and flirt with the females'. I don't know if this is occurring more than it used to--I've not heard of this occurring around here before, but it certainly is troubling when you and your peace-loving basset are participating.

[ December 08, 2004, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: S. Hall ]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hi--
I wasn't thinking about rescues or shelters at all when I posted. Most dogs in Obedience trials are not from rescues. In fact, many are carefully chosen just to excel in competitive obedience, and some are bred to do so. My point was that dogs may not be getting the basic socialization they need these days, no matter where they come from, or what their pedigree is, and also, that their owners may not be realistic about the potential for their dog to be agressive. I was also thinking that this shouldn't be happening at Obedience Trials, of all places, which are supposed to show 'the partnership of people and dogs working together', or something like that.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hi--I agree that the group stays should go. I've always leaned towards keeping them because Bassets (at least in my limited experience--one) seem ok about staying (once you convince them that going down on a sit-stay is not a good choice), and the traditional obedience breeds are so focused on their handlers that they lose it when the handler leaves, and break the stay one way or the other. Seemed like it sort of leveled the playing field. But I've had a change of heart--I agree with you--they should go--it just isn't worth it. If they want a stationery exercise in Open, they should move the moving stand down to Open (We're good at that, too, if you recall the Nationals <vbg>
I think No! means NO is part of socialization, too, just as much as being around other dogs, so maybe we are saying the same thing. The other thing I see is alot of weird psychologizing around dog's motives--not problems reflecting past abuse in a rescue which are often very real, but things like, "Fluffy tried to bite the judge because the judge had a clipboard, and I dropped a clipboard on her toe once when she was a puppy."

[ December 09, 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: S. Hall ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.